1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you own a paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, May 19, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd want to own a weekly ... if I did, I'd try to see if the ad base and infrastructure was there to make it a 5-day or 6-day daily.

I'd love to be the owner/publisher of a small community daily, but I'd have to have the staff and revenue base to do it properly. I would commit to putting forth quality journalism rather than profits, because a high-quality product will breed increased circulation, which increases profits.

2. Thanks for posting that.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That used to be my fondest dream.

I have noted elsewhere, though, how all the people I know who started papers essentially created 90-hour-a-week jobs for themselves because they couldn't stand working 40-50 for somebody else.

Sorry, the phone rang.

At this point, I'd be much more interested in running a community news Web site than a dead-tree vehicle.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yes. Without question.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, you mean a blog!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind it, although I'd want a large enough staff to avoid the 90 hour weeks, and enough knowledgable businesspeople to worry about the financial ends of things. I'd rather concentrate on the editorial side.

Draft saved Draft deleted