1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Like Some Wingnut With Your Kidneys?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 16, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh my. Did you go blind and dissolve into a pile of salt when you said that? ;D

2. I'm not saying ban chaplains.
    But this is fringe religious whackadoodle, and it's proselytizing, which SHOULD be banned in the military, IMHO. This is of a piece with the anti-Semitism scandal at the AFA, and that idiot Boykin and his personal god, and a number of other disturbing examples in the past 10 years.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Granted, it is the government, but as someone who was in the military and is now a disabled veteran, the two are entirely different entities. Hell, the VA has battled with the DoD on my behalf on more than one occasion.

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Also, Ace. Who is going to develop the criteria for a Christian "CULT"? There are many in mainstream Christianity who claim that LDS (Mormon) is a cult. Granted, some of the polygamist fruitcakes who marry off 10-year olds are cultists. But they are blasphemous to the legitimate Mormons. You can bet that there are those that would call Jerry Fallwell's (my he rest in peace) mega-church followers a cult. It could be said that Jim and Tammy Faye, Robert Tilton (who could be), Mother Theresa and Jimmy Swaggert are/were cultists. This is an area better left to those who wish to adhere to a belief and keep government out of it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out that I don't think Fenian was targeting all of Christianity -- just the zealots.

And I am fine with the military being tolerant of all religions just keep it to yourself.

Don't preach, don't tell, as it were.

6. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Fair enough, Ace. But IF this were to happen, I still have to wonder what the criteria would be and who would design it? Kinda scary to think who might be chosen to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted