1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Eat Horse Meat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 1, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not really sure where I stand on this. My instinctive reaction is to say no, but does that really make any sense?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I went out with friends one time and one of them ordered rabbit for the hell of it. You would have thought he held Peter Cottontail by the ears and slit his throat right at the table.

What is the difference between a horse and a deer and a cow?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

4. YankeeFan

I just had this conversation with someone the other day.

I've had rabbit plenty of times, but a girl/woman I know is a good eater (i.e. not picky) said she wouldn't/couldn't eat rabbit.

5. YankeeFan

Nice.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have. I was traveling in a foreign country, it was served to me, and it was eat it or be hungry. I ate. As for rabbit, there is a certain type of eater, almost all of them women or girls, who are what a woman friend of mine called "cowardly carnivores." Or as my daughter said when she was a small child "It's OK to eat beef because cows are not cute."

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've had rabbit, and snake, and bison (so good) and other stuff I don't really remember. I had this conversation with a friend when I saw this story yesterday ... and I STILL don't know why some animals are ok to eat and others just make me feel nauseous. It's not just the cute factor ... I wouldn't eat rat either.

But no, as a somewhat-Kentuckian, I don't think I could eat horse. At least not knowingly.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

According to my mom, I ate horse meat regularly as a child, purchased from the The Horsemeat Market, in fact. I'm an equal opportunity carnivore.

And I love cows (as JR will attest) but have no problem chowing down on a steak.

9. YankeeFan

From the article:

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I grew up in Vancouver but both my parents are Dutch, as was the meat market.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've eaten horse in Europe. Didn't feel like a statement there.

I ate rabbit once, followed shortly by a nasty anaphylactic reaction. It was one of those yuppie restaurants where you get combinations of foods and spices you wouldn't think of on your own, so perhaps some other ingredient was the cause, but the rabbit was the only thing I knew I hadn't eaten before.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If it had a face or was mobile on its own, I ain't eating it.

Draft saved Draft deleted