1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you buy a car with (repaired) hail damage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, as many know, I've been car shopping all month.

A salesman, who is a longtime friend of the family and a man we all trust (my sister almost went into business with him but continued with more schooling instead), has the exact car I want on his lot.

He's already cheaper than the three others I've shopped at. However, the car he has on the lot has about 30 dents from small, marble-sized hail that the region got not long ago. He says they've repaired and sold about 80 cars since the storm. He's offering me the car at an additional $3,000 discount.

So, he's already a grand cheaper than the three places I've also shopped at AND now he's another three grand cheaper over that.

Do I take it?

Would you?

I've got zero experience with hail-damaged vehicles.

I do know the paint was never broken by the hail stones.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Take it. We had a nasty hailstorm here a few years ago and my car has little golf-ball size dents all over it. Never got it repaired, just took the insurance payout. Car still runs like new and I barely even notice the dents.

It's money in your pocket. Buy the car.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're gonna take it with the dents? Why not get a price on it fixed up?

And the hail damage is no issue other than cosmetic. But if I'm buying a car, the "exact car I want" won't have 30 dents in it.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Hey, for $3,000 you can get those 30 dents repaired and still have $2,000 left over.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You've actually seen the vehicle? How's it look?

Yes, if you're getting a deal that's too good to pass up (and make sure the deal isn't this good because something else is wrong with it), you can have a reputable body shop make it look brand new.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What kind of car are we talking?

And does it have A/C?

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I could not care less if my used car had a bunch of tiny dents/depressions in it.

As long as it runs fine, what's the problem?

8. Pete Incaviglia

Sorry, they WILL BE repaired. In fact, they're being repaired as I type. They have to repair them regardless of who buys the car — me, or the next guy.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Total no-brainer. Buy it. Repaired properly, you wouldn't know the difference between this one and a car that never had hail damage.

10. Pete Incaviglia

A little more info:

This is a 2008 model. Brand new at the dealership. Pretty much loaded, with a couple options I didn't even want (because I couldn't afford them).

ALL DENTS WILL BE REPAIRED. But the dealership can't sell it without telling a customer — any customer — it was damaged by hail and repaired.

The hail DID NOT damage the paint. All cars that had paint damage were sent back to the manufacturer as write-offs.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

No questions asked. Buy it! If you're getting $3,000 off and getting all the repairs done to the car, you're golden.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Take it. Don't look back.

Draft saved Draft deleted