1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would this violate ethical standards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 31, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Is it proper to write a one- or two-paragraph e-mail congratulating someone you write about occasionally on their election to office?

In a related note, is it proper to write a one- or two-paragraph e-mail expressing condolences to an elected official you write about occasionally about their death of an aunt, whose husband brought your joy through his work?

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

1) Unethical.

2) That's all right in my book.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

1.) Don't
    2.) Send a card for a condolence of any kind to anyone, not an e-mail.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Or a letter. Something with a postage stamp on it. An e-mail is too informal to acknowledge someone's death.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

1. I would not, but follow your conscience.

2. Send a hand-written note, on nice stationery, in a nice envelope. Spend a few bucks for cards and matching envelopes that show you have some class.

They don't have to be the most expensive or embossed. But use something better than a sheet of white paper stuffed in a no-lick envelope you might use to pay the light bill.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Or you could text. SRRY YR ANT BGHT FRM.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

LOL

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ha!
    I nearly spit coffee on my monitor, Frank. My tech guy would have been so pissed at you.

9. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Epic.

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Two words. Pha nominal.

11. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Both are proper in my view. Congratulating an individual on their success is in no way an endorsement of their politics or aspirations, much like congratulating Podunk High's football coach for winning a section title doesn't make you a Podunk booster. I wouldn't stress about a condolence e-mail, but either way I think acknowledging the loss is a good thing.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

For the congratulating, in person is probably better. It's more personal, and there's no paper trail. I say that because you have to remember these are people you cover. Not your friends, and they will stick you if they feel they must.

Draft saved Draft deleted