1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Michigan get your AP vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ADifferentOkie, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

There are so many tough decisions every week to make in the poll.

This shouldn't have been a thought.

We really need to start releasing polls after 6-8 weeks of the season.

2. Hammer Pants

Slappy, they could get back in with the proper wins.

But as of right now, they have played one game. In that game, they lost to a I-AA team with 63 scholarships.

They do not belong in the poll this week. They just don't.

3. When was the last time Indiana won at Michigan? I don't know, I'm asking. Indiana lost at home to a I-AA team (Southern Illinois) last year, by the way.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think Michigan can get back into most people's top 25 with a win over Oregon and (for me at least) two more in a row. I think they're a good team who underestimated an opponent that happened to have a lot of what of really messes with the Wolverines, speed.

They're still a good team, and quite probably a Top 25 team.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No way would I put them in my top 25 after that game. If they beat Oregon, they'll probably jump right back in but there had to be a penalty for that loss.

6. Hammer Pants

They lost to a Division I-AA team.

They might become a top 25 team, but they sure as shit are quite probably not anywhere close to being a top 25 team right now.

7. Hammer Pants

Hmmm...

Win over Oregon
    Loss against APPY FUCKING STATE.

Nope, not a top 25 team yet. Still a few wins away.

8. To me, if you think Michigan is a Top 25 team, you have to believe that Appy is one of the 25 best teams in the country. They did go into The Big House and outplay the Wolverines in front of 110,000 fans, right?
    I just can't make that leap, no matter how dominant they are in The Division Formerly Known As I-AA.
    Keep in mind, Appy is playing an NAIA team this weekend.
    That's perspective right there.

9. sportschick

In your opinion, they're not. I can understand the reasoning for those who did vote them into the Top 25, and it doesn't bother me. I might disagree, but we're coming at the poll from two different places. I think it's the top 25 in a given week. They think it's the top 25 overall. No need to start pitching a fit over it.

10. sportschick

No you don't. Teams always overlook opponents they think are weak. Boise State got a huge scare from Idaho last year b/c they overlooked them. Does that mean that Idaho would have belonged in the Top 25 if they'd won? Of course not. Just that they got lucky, which is exactly what happened with Appy State.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I dropped them from No. 4 to out of the poll, at the very least for a week because of the loss to Appy State. I can't blame voting either way since its only a matter of time before they get back in, baring a four or five loss season.

Had they kicked that field goal to escape, I would have dropped them in the nine-12 range.

12. But that logic downplays Appy, which, to me, makes it even less likely anyone would vote for Michigan.
    If they lost to a great team, I can forgive them and vote for them.
    If they lost to a bad team, I just can't.
    And I think the Boise example is flawed, unless that is the season opener and it was in Boise. I'm not looking it up, so I don't know if either is the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted