1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would calling Obama illiterate have been better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RespectMyAuthority, Feb 7, 2007.

1. RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority New Member

Oh, you called me a doofus. Not quite as insulting as articulate, but offensive nonetheless.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't.

It's patronizing and as was pointed out in the other article posted, it's an up-to-date version of "he's a credit to his race".

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Would "idiot" make you feel better?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do women really feel that way? Wow. So, no calling a woman tough, huh? But it's OK to call Gov. Blanco out because she cried during Katrina?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JD, you're missing the point, methinks.

Some men call women "tough" or "aggressive" as a putdown. It's a toned down version of "ballbuster".

"Wow, she's tough" is a way of saying, "Who does she think she is?"

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Except when it isn't.

You're reaching, JR.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't like when people tell me what something I am saying means. I know what I mean when I say it. You can't say in all cases a freaking compliment is a slam.

If that's the case, then we're going to have to do one hell of a fucking better job of educating our goddamn stupid-ass motherfucking country, because most fuck knuckles have shitty vocabularies as it is, and if you're going to make them pick their spots and find other ways to say something nice when they simply want to pay a compliment to somebody, well, then we need a real fucking Education President and not the MORAN we have now, and we probably just need to blow up all the fucking shit out there and just start over, because goddamnit to hell.

Delete this goddamn stupid-ass country now!

And I sincerely mean that.

8. RespectMyAuthority

Maybe the President, someone who is rarely accused of being articulate, is genuinely impressed with someone who can string a few sentences together.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

OK, RMA doesn't like JR. This should narrow it down. . .

Hondo?

Boom?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How about everyone read the NYTimes article that I posted before jumping on me?

Melissa Harris-Lacewell, professor of politics and African-American studies at Princeton University, said her first notable encounter with the word was back in high school in Chester, Va., when she was dating the school’s star football player. In post-game interviews and news stories she started to notice that he was always referred to as articulate.

“They never said that about the white quarterback,” she said, “yet they couldn’t help but say it about my boyfriend.”

or

The comedian and actor D. L. Hughley, a frequent guest on HBO’s “Real Time With Bill Maher,” says that every time he appears on the show, where he riffs on the political and social issues of the day, people walk up to him afterward and tell him how “smart and articulate” his comments were.

“Everyone was up in arms about Michael Richards using the N-word, but subtle words like this are more insidious,” Mr. Hughley said. “It’s like weight loss. The last few pounds are the hardest to get rid of. It’s the last vestiges of racism that are hard to get rid of.”

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A word is not just a word.

Sometimes you have to deconstruct it.

Not difficult.

12. RespectMyAuthority

It's actually God. I thought I'd check in and see what the enlightened sports writers on Earth are thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted