1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would calling Obama illiterate have been better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RespectMyAuthority, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Like taking retards to the fucking zoo.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Like Old Tony was like "Whatever" and Fenian was like "Nuh-uhh."

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Here's how much the story has already been buried. Contrast it to Trent Lott years ago.

Tonight's NBC Nightly News, stories in order:
    -- Scooter Libby trial (including letting Russert give his own spin on the day in court where he was a witness)
    -- Autism.
    -- Pelosi’s plane story (giving Pelosi a pass and passing the buck to the Sergeant at Arms for the House).
    -- Iraq, 4 marines killed.
    -- Casey confirmed as army chief of staff
    -- Dow Jones down 29 today
    -- Anna Nicole Smith dies (they led not with the death, but with how all the cable news channels spent the whole day on the story)
    -- A tease on North Korea and upstate NY snow before commercial
    -- After commercial, the NK nuke weapons story and optimism that a deal could take place. (this being a positive for the Bush Admin., it can wait till after the first break. And, of course, the story tone is to blame the Bush admin for it taking this long and NK maybe driving a harder bargain)
    -- Another tease, this time about classic cars, before another commercial
    -- It snows a whole lot in upstate New York. (No mention of global warming, though.)
    -- story about eBay and supposedly the window from Oswald’s perch being up for sale.
    -- another break coming up, but another tease of the old muscle cars again. (Doesn’t look to me like Biden’s racism is on their minds as it’s now 54 minutes after the hour.)
    -- After commercial, the previously promised story on muscle cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Doesn’t seem like they’re in a hurry to get to the big Biden story since Williams prefaced this story with “Finally, tonight …”
    -- Sure enough, that is all. Not a single mention of the Biden fallout. Because there is no Biden fallout. The story is over. Jesse Jackson says it’s over. Al Sharpton is making jokes about it. Nobody cares. He’s a democrat. It’s excused.

4. Like a duck to water.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I advise everyone not to click on that link. My virus protection went apeshit after I did. I had to reboot after swatting away a dozen pop-ups and warnings.

Better to leave this one alone or ask for a cut-and-paste if you're interested, I think.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And why are people assuming that politicians must be articulate? Some of the most dumber-than-a-stump people are politicians.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

So is the Biden "articulate" story overblown or is it buried? I can't tell from reading this thread.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And just to say. I'm glad that we, as a board, had this discussion without too much horseshit.

I still don't understand and don't agree and am still highly upset with all of this that I won't post anymore on the subject to avoid saying something stupid myself.

I still love all you guys.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, dooley. I've seen plenty of politicians -- a certain president comes to mind -- who are anything but articulate. You'd think they would be, but it's certainly not always the case.

10. Send us some more teaching stories. My Dad taught -- and was an administrator -- in what were then called "inner-city" schools for 30 years.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Mayor Dailey. Royko's verbatim take on his news conference was perhaps my favorite column ever.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Wow, this was a great thread that REALLY went to hell.

Like, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted