1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Ace have killed Chris Chambers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jun 19, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just finished watching "Stand By Me," one of my all-time favorite movies, and I got to thinking about this question.

For those of you who haven't seen the flick (rent it), one of the final scenes includes Ace, the leader of a rebel gang, charging down a hill, threatening Chris Chambers, the leader of pack of kids, with a knife. He holds the knife to Chambers' throat, but he doesn't follow through because Gordie LeChance, Chambers' best friend, fires a gun and scares Ace off with barely a second to spare.

My question this: If Gordie hadn't fired the gun in the air -- not to mention tells Ace to "Suck my fat one, you cheap, dime-store hood" -- does Chambers die?

I'm not sure he does. Remember, the one protester in the six-man gang is Chris' brother, Eyeball Chambers, Ace's right-hand man. I think Ace chickens out at the last second, knees Chris in a sensitive area and starts pounding the crap out of him. But I don't think he's got the stones to kill him.

What do you think?

(And, yeah, that Ace would have killed him. Twice.)

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Could Ace have caught him?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

OK. Not that Chris Chambers, either.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I knew that. I think.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

no. He would have realized homicide is no way to get into the Plain-Dealer.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, his name would be in print.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

No question Ace kills him. The real dilemma is what does Eyeball do?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Can't say I know from having watched it, but my gut says that if Ace doesn't kill Chambers, it's because his right hand man forces him not to.

But my gut says Chambers is a goner.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

which goes to show, a dude always needs a wingman.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

See, I don't think Eyeball can stand up to Ace, at least physically. All he said was, "Come on, Ace," and then he watched him move toward his brother with the knife shining in the sun. If Ace stops, it's because of himself.

If he's dead, DD, I don't know what Eyeball does. He's a follower. Maybe he decides to get his life back in order and try to restore the Chambers name. He starts by ratting out Ace, of course, then vows to live his like for Chris.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I woulda done it a couple of years ago when he was on my fantasy team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

He did kill him. In line at that burger joint 12 years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted