1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would a Michael Jackson comeback have worked?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

See, PR, I will always consider The Replacements more successful than Hall and Oates, and the only reason is that I think there music is exponentially better in quality.

I success is a relative term.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Success is a measurable thing. It does not comment on the relative quality of the entertainment provided.

The Black Eyed Peas are successful.

Friends was a successful show.

Both are a blight on our society.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn good perspective.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think a one off show would have worked. Doing 50 shows or doing an actual tour would have been too much for Michael.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't think Pittsburghians drank paint thinner.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dude needed propofol just to go to sleep at night. He died in rehearsals. And he's going to do 50 shows? Hows he going to get his propofol and other pharmacy of prescription drugs shipped to London?

Some of the people on this board are insane.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Just got back from seeing the movie. If what they wanted to portray was someone was who in control, in charge, coherent, in good singing voice, and who could keep up with those young dancers, then that's what you saw. He definitely had a vision of what those concerts were going to be and was quite vocal when he wanted to make a change or do something different.

He seemed to still have it.

Did he have it for 50 shows? We'll never know. But had he toured in the US, I would've gone to see him.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

So you don't think that wasn't staged? I personally think he just did that for sympathy from the jury.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've been on a jury. If you're looking for sympathy, showing up late and repeatedly causing delays ain't the way to do it.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Is 93 even from Pittsburgh?

(I'm an indie music fan myself, but Hall and Oates weren't some disposable top 40 group)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Success can be measured, but the definition can vary.
    Who was more successful as a writer/composer of music, Michael Jackson or Mozart?
    By your definition of success, one might say Jackson, who made a lot more money than Mozart.
    By another definition, one might say Mozart, whose work is generally regarded as having more artistic merit.

There's more to it than measurability.

Draft saved Draft deleted