1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worthwhile Will Leitch essay on Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 10, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have yet to read a single word Simmons has ever written.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just read that and was going to quote it and say "Was the person blind?" :D :D

That being said, I was a HUGE Simmons fan when he was BSG. I've posted about it on here before. He was must read. A friend who worked with me at my first job was from that area and turned me on to his stuff. It would make me laugh out loud like 12 times a day, and it was the best thing I read every time. Amazingly good shit (his hatred of the CHB notwithstanding). I haven't read him as much in the past 6 years, so his stuff doesn't wear on me like it does other. I still think it's good, and entertaining, but I'm also in the age group that his references and writing is geared toward. It's a big long, but I can read it easily because it's just lighthearted reading. And as Elliotte said, it's passionate...and I can relate to that.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I too was a huge Sports Guy fan years ago. But I am finding that I am sick of reading about the Celtics, Vegas, the Red Sox, his friend House and blackjack. I'd much rather read Ivan Maisel or Pat Forde's takes on college sports.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good column.

I'll read anything Bill writes about basketball; hint, hint, the new book would be a great gift.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Double Down is your Secret Santa, you're golden.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I had to drop out of the secret Santa program after sending my gifts late three straight years. I am one of the worst SS ever.

7. No, he didn't. Tom Verducci did. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137633/index.htm

Simmons' NBA book is more than 700 pages. Ayn Rand wrote the friggin' Fountainhead in less. Cut the Simmons down by half and maybe I'll give it a look.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

time wasted reading simmons or thinking about simmons is time wasted and you ain't getting it back.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just think Simmons is a doo-doo head.

11. PaulS

PaulS Member

I'm not totally buying into this trail-blazer rep for Simmons. What he does is good stuff, with his distinct personality and wit. However, I don't think the use of pop-culture references, passion and fan enthusiasm didn't originate with him. I'm not a regular reader, but I like some of it and I look forward to his NBA book. I'm not buying into him as somebody who did something nobody else ever thought of.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

OK, his 700-page book has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Who here has bought it?

I got a copy the week it came out. I'm only about 60 pages in, but I've found it pretty entertaining so far. I don't understand his fascination with footnotes, but to each their own, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted