1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst ump in MLB?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Poor performance while officiating games springs immediately to mind.

2. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

It used to be Eric Gregg.

Now I'd go with Angel Hernandez.

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I missed Eric Gregg's legendary performance during that Maddux playoff game years ago. Apparently it was Lesley Nielsen-like.

4. boots

boots New Member

Gregg took a bad rap, primarily because of his size. He was a good guy both on the field and off the field. Always took time to talk to everyone. He is definitely missed.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I miss Bozo the Clown too, but he was good at his job in addition to being a likeable guy. Gregg's calling of the strike zone was atrocious, and tended to get worse as the game progressed.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bucknor and Holbrook immediately come to mind. Bucknor's smirk is something I'd love to slap off his face, and Holbrook has low self-esteem issues (he immediately ejects anyone if they even dare question his calls).

The overall level of umpiring in general is terrible. Left unchecked, that will cause big problems for baseball.

7. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Agree with the Joe West post. Just an arrogant SOB. One time Lenny Dykstra asked West, who was working second base, to move out of his line of sight. West refused. Just flat out refused. Of course Dykstra wound up lining a single up the middle.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I acutally liked Kaiser.....

Hunter Wendelstedt wouldn't be worth an ounce of shit if it wasn't for his dad.

Gregg was so massive......when he got in his crouch, he looked like a hunched-over beanbag.

Bucknor is hideous........A. Hernandez is horrifically hideous........

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

H
    Hasn't he been retired for about 20 years? How about Charlie Williams, then? He's dead.

11. boots

boots New Member

I dearly miss Satch Davidson. Nobody rings up a batter the way Satch did.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Froemming's first year was 1971. Willie Mays was not only still playing, he was still with the Giants.

Draft saved Draft deleted