1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Super Bowl player of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

That was my choice. He was particularly brutalized on Williams' third TD pass (about 58 yards) to Ricky Sanders, but also got beat on the first two and can be seen flailing and failing to knock Timmy Smith out of bounds as he tightropes his way into the end zone on his long TD run.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not the worst player, but Leon Lett's bonehead move in SB XXVII stands out — and that was with 53 points on the board.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Another vote here for Tony Lilly. He had some serious issues with pursuit angles in that game, which I think was his last in the NFL.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thurman Thomas. Except for his first time, he was awful and his fumble doomed the Bills against Dallas in the rematch.

As a Bills fan, I have no quarrel with Scott Norwood; 47-yarders, on grass, from the hash are not easy kicks. He kicked the crap out of that ofotball, but hit it so hard it didn't hook as it usually did.

Buffalo's defense, which gave up soo many YAC, was the culprit in that game.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know it's back in the day, but Craig Morton was a perfectly wretched QB for two different teams in two different Super Bowls, one of which (1970 Cowboys) could've won if he'd only been mediocre, or even poor.

6. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Cincy's Boomer was quite a dud during the Super Bowl against the 49ers, especially since the Bengals' defense and special teams played their butts off after Krumrie went down with that gruesome injury.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thurman Thomas hands down the worst Super Bowl Performer. 1991 vs Redskins missed first 2 plays due to misplacing his helmet ended up with 2 fumbles 10 carries for 13 yards. The next 2 Super Bowls he played in were not much better 11 caries / 17 yds and 16 carries / 37 yds.

The Bills needed Thomas to show up big and he did not. I believe he is the # 1 reason the Bills lost the 4 Super Bowls they played in.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, you are incorrect. The main reason the Bills lost those 4 Super Bowls was that their defense was never good enough.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

FINALLY a "worst of..." thing that a Browns player won't win! :D

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sorry... Thomas is MVP of XXV if the Bills win.

Had bad games, but not close to the worst.

Kelly was worse on his own team.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You beat me to the punch with this nomination.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Tarkenton on this one. His Vikings not only went 0-3, they never even scored in the first half (nor did they with Joe Kapp at QB in Super Bowl IV).

Draft saved Draft deleted