1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sports Leg Injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Ruffian, Barbaro, Eight Belles and the hundreds of other racehorses who breakdown at tracks, during races and in training, every year.

I hate modern thoroughbred racing in the U.S.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yes, gross. I did the highlights of that one.

The funniest, I guess if you can call it that, was the Seattle Mariners mascot was on a scooter or something was going along the outfield wall, fell off and broke his ankle. So this bog moose is laying there writhing in pain with is moose head on and his ankle just kind of dangling. Awful, but still funny.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was the worst one I've ever seen. New Orleans Bowl, 2008. Southern Miss wide receiver De'Andre Brown broke his leg and I was watching it through the binoculars in the press box. The leg formed a right angle and I had nightmares about it for months.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

(insert throwing up smiley)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Outstanding piece by Tim Sullivan. Definitely worth a read.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130401/COLUMNISTS01/304010110/1002/Tim-Sullivan-Like-Ware-s-leg-system-broken

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Go For Wand is still the all-timer.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dead on.

And the players can get the ball rolling this weekend by taking a seat at the center of the court until the NCAA agrees to negotiate.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

That would be great.

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

I was at that game when I was about 12 or 13. Ugh, we were in field box seats so had a pretty good view of him collapsing on the turf. It's still a pretty strong visual.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Even just rolled ankles make me squeamish.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I remember this one very well. Poor fella. Actually remember all of the ones mentioned here very well. Prothro, Ventura and Ware are among the worst I've seen. Theismann is the gold standard, and McCallum's was devastating too.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kevin Ware is the gore standard for me now. For still photos, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted