1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sports Leg Injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 1, 2013.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Terrible quality, but here it is

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Sid Vicious:

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I reckon there is a morbid curiosity streak to view this stuff. There's a DVD called "Faces of Death" which shows people getting killed. Twisted entertainment at its best.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was the first one that came to mind watching where and how Ware broke his leg. Same type of thing, jumping from 3-4 feet, landing on one leg, and <snap>.
    Another weird connection, too -- both injuries happened in Indianapolis. They mention Sid having surgery at Methodist Hospital, which is the same hospital they took Ware to last night.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather have an ACL. Athletes can now return in as little as six months from ACL surgery. The Ware kid sounds like he'll take a whole year and there are so many examples of compound fractures being basically career-enders.

The Ruben Mateo femur fracture in 2000 is out there somewhere. It sounded like someone shot a rifle in the Ballpark.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Willis McGahee in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl was the first one that jumped to my mind. Then Theismann.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Oh, forgot about that one. Yeah, that was one I could not unsee since I was watching the game. Gross.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shun Fujimoto would have stayed on the court and played.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Robin Ventura has to be very high on this list.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was that the Alabama receiver? Yeah, that was a bad one...

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

By definition, I think the worst ones were when the guy never played again. That includes Theismann, McCallum and Prothro.

Ten years later, Theismann probably comes back.

Prothro's after-care was horribly botched. He spent almost a month in the hospital due to infection, and still walks with a limp.

McCallum suffered massive arterial damage in addition to the bone and joint trauma, so I'm not sure that one could have been helped.

Krumrie's the most amazing one to me. It cannot be overstated how incredible it was that he returned to start opening week the following season.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted