1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst sports announcers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Oh my goodness gracious! How has Suzyn Waldman not been mentioned yet?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pat Summerall for the past 10 years, tho that may be more an indictment of those who keep putting him on the air. May as well put Dick Clark in the booth for all the difference it would make. And contrary to a lot of sentiment, I think Enberg and Dierdorf are solid and make it about the game, not themselves.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Dave O'Brien was absolutely awful on ESPN during the 2006 World Cup. It was obvious that he knew little to nothing about soccer and he never seemed prepared or enthusiastic about the games he was calling. I find him to be too stuffy and canned to begin with (he reminds me of a stereotypical "announcer" from a sports comedy) but that was just amplified by the unique talents necessary to call a soccer match.

I've never liked Dr. Jerry Punch as a lead announcer for NASCAR, although he's good at what he does as a pit reporter.

Anyone who lives in LA has to deal with listening to Chris Roberts or Pete Arbogast on UCLA and USC broadcasts. Oof.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Speaking of O'Brien (who I like for guys hoops), his new partner, Dan Dakitch, sucks!! Steve Lavin was 10x better.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

...seriously how often did you tune in to MNF just to listen to don, howard and frank?

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Dedes is fucking terrible, as is Ian Eagle.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I do recall the story you mentioned ... but when has Fox not been about style over substance? I think the only thing that excited Fox in the last World Series was being able to show a picture of W. every other inning.

There was some talk Fox wanted Jon Miller to be their lead baseball guy when he got released by the WWL, and I hope they are still pursuing it, even though it's still a week or so to go before opening day. Of course, hearing him do all 162 with the Giants is fine by me too, but I think it would help Fox, and baseball, to have someone who loves the game in the booth, like Scully, Gowdy or Costas when NBC had "Game of the Week."

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I can't stand Kevin Harlan. He never lets the moment tell the story and ALWAYS has to get a word (or 20) in.

If you kept track -- and I believe this has been done -- you'll discover that he talks more during the course of a game that any other network sports broadcaster.

Also, the Pirates' Greg Brown and Steve Blass are fucking insane.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So when did you stop watching sports?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Original poster lists Pam Ward and says it isn't "just" because she's a woman. So obviously, that's part of it. How much, and why?

Draft saved Draft deleted