1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst sports announcers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 21, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Mediocre? That's about 90 percent of the league these days.

2. I believe he actually came out and said that was the case . . . right after he left the Cardinals booth. He said he got bored broadcasting baseball. While all of this may be subjective, I believe Buck would actually admit to mailign it in if it's not red sox/yankees, but the networks don't seem to care. They want the face and the voice and that's enough to them. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Dennis Miller is funny and intelligent, but that experiment was full of fail.

No one will ever mimic the Gifford-Meredith-Cosell trio. Ever.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Imagine intentionally seeking to suck at a job and still be wanted to do it.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Read the NCAA thread much? People there are giving the last rites to teams 5-6 minutes into the game.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As an NBA League Pass subscriber, I could write 10,000 words on this. 9,975 of them would be about Tommy Heinsohn. The rest would be about Mike Rice and Mike Barrett, Portland's guys.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Blazers broadcasters are hype mongers. Imagine the Orlando PA guy doing play by play - that's Portland.

And really - if you get to a national gig - you're not "the worst" by any measure. Listen to high school broadcasts sometime and wonder how long they'll go without giving a score or time left.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Bender never gave last rites. He just acted surprised after the outcome was in hand that they never gave up.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Hawk Harrelson.

I can't stand homer announcers. Stop cheering and tell me what's happening.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Dukie V
    Most guys on Big Ten Network

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who was doing the Notre Dame-Florida State game last night? That was pretty bad. I understand it isn't easy to brush up on a million teams to do a tourney site in that short of time, but you have to do better than that, right? What I learned: Florida State has a guy who was in the Air Force. Ben Hansbrough is gritty and so was his brother.

The doing-your-homework thing is huge, to me. I love Bilas and Aikman because it is always clear that those guys know the game, the players, and the teams backward and forward. Herbstreit, too. And Steve Stone in baseball.

Guys who I think are awful include Hawk Harrelson and Dick Vitale. Mark Grace, too, whenever he's done national games.

The love for Vitale just drives me bonkers. I guess people like that shit, though. That's why Gus Johnson is so popular right now. Fans want their passion reinforced and validated more than they want to hear Jay Bilas break down a double ball screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted