1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Sporting event you've attended???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jan 29, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

SB XXIII was the worst as a Bengals fanboi. I'll never forget seeing the replay of Krumrie's leg injury on the jumbotron and the collective groan that went through the crowd. Then, of course, Montana getting the ball back with the 2-minute drill. I was sitting 15 rows up in the end zone and Taylor caught the ball right in front of me.

And I still think they would have won if Stanley Wilson hadn't put his career up his nose the night before.

2. doctor x

doctor x Member

Worst attended: 1968 Florida-Georgia game. Grew up hearing about the spectacle, blah, blah, blah. When I was 13, I went with my dad, wore a jacket and tie, waited an hour for a cold roast beef sandwich that was supposed to be hot at restaurant next to stadium, it rained all damn day and Georgia won 51-0. Actually listened to most of game on grandmother's car radio because we surrendered to the weather but our car was boxed in.

Worst covered: Almost any Sebring (Fla.) HS football game I had in 1986. Worst 1-9 team I've ever seen.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Huh?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think this kid got booted for booing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I once covered a conference indoor track meet, and it being my first track meet, I showed up at around 3 p.m. to the fieldhouse. About two hours into it, I notice it's going really slow. Another hour passes then another then another then another. There was no where to sit so I'm either standing up or walking around. By the time it ended around 10 p.m., I was dead on my feet.

6. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Watched a Marlins day game in August with maybe five other folks in the stands (thought it was so hot I may have just hallucinated them). I'm still trying to rehydrate.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Any of the 25-15 final score girls basketball games I've stabbed myself with my pencil to stay awake through.

8. Mira

Mira Member

I covered a state swim meet (my first time covering a swim event) in late November. OK, it's below zero outside and a sauna in the Natatorium, at least it felt like 120 degrees.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

ahh yes that brings back memories of sitting in the Yale Cage, listening to my Walkman all day to run one event.

That's pretty much the worst. As much as I loathe field hockey at least it's not an all-day event.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

When our local girls made the switch from slowpitch to fastpitch, I covered a game that should not have been played -- it was drizzling rain and the field was a mudbog -- and finished with a final score of 19-17 or some other nonsense. Pitchers combined for more than 30 walks and the teams committed about 15 errors between them. Took four hours.

Everybody should have to cover one of these assnumbers before they are ever allowed to cover a D-I or pro beat.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was only three years old, didn't know what football was and was not there, but that was the best game i've ever been to anyway ;D

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

WORLD GAMES FOR THE DEAF!

Draft saved Draft deleted