1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SEC Guy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's a Snapp.

'nuff said.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At a community college in our orbit, the guy who served as the SID left during the summer and his replacement arrived this week, only to find that his boss, the school's PR director, is on vacation this week.

Vacation? The week school starts? WTF?

3. sg86

sg86 Member

+ 1,000,000,000,000

asshole would be far too nice of a word

4. and that's what i was referencing with my above comment. jeff nelson isn't a bad guy, from all accounts, yet he'll stonewall you to death because that's what joepa tells him to do. i've dealt with psu people in other sports and never had a problem.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agree. Completely.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was going there, but the two clods I mentioned are in the same category.... emeritus. This guy does indeed set the shit standard.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As you know, Hoffman was the personal Baghdad Bob for megalomaniac George Perles, a capacity in which he now continues with the bush-league Motor City Bowl.

Somewhat ironic because Hoffman followed two of the absolute all-time greats, Fred Stabley Sr. and his right-hand man Nick Vista, who between them held the position for about 40 years.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You know, I think it's a little bit of bullshit that people using screen names can get on this thread and call out SIDs. It's one thing to call George W. Bush a fucking moron, but it's another to pick on some poor flack making long bus rides across the SWAC or the MEAC and getting paid $25K/year. It's a bit more personal.

Consider the SIDs you work with as colleagues. Different jobs, sure, but these people are part of your job environment. Everyone would be too scared to name their boss or the writer/desker/photog who sits next to them in the office on a "worst colleagues" thread. I don't see how this is any different.

I'm all for a "what makes a good/bad/horrible SID" thread, discussing the traits of the worst SIDs, but calling these people out on this board is cowardly.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

As a student intern in the Sports Information department of a Division II football power in the mid-'80s, we were scheduled to play an in-state SWAC team in the season opener at their place.

On Friday, about 30 hours before kickoff, the host school's SID called our office and asked "Any chance you guys could take of the stats and handle all the post-game stuff the media needs? I'm already overwhelmed and don't have enough staff to deal with it."

Huh?

So we loaded up a copier, typewriters (this was in the '80s, remember) and tracked down a couple of student workers for the trip. Then watched the next night as the SID stuffed his face in an adjacent skybox during the game with friends and boosters.

The kicker to this tale? This SID became SWAC Commissioner just a few years later.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not Flip Wilson, that's for damn sure.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Their job is to facilitate our job. Instead, most of them either let the coach turn them into personal errand boys, or they become part of the paranoid Nixonian establishment that is college sports. Either way, too many of the suck at the precise definition of their job: Sports INFORMATION Director.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

By the way, they're not too swift at FAMU either.

Draft saved Draft deleted