1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst series of sequels to a good movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Channel-surfing has brought me to "Revenge of the Nerds IV," and it's so bad I can't pick up the remote to change the channel. Apparently, this was a made-for-TV sequel in which all the folks from the first movie, including nerd-haters-turned-nerds such as Ogre and Stan Gable, traveled to Booger's wedding. The plot apparently consists of the gay guy flirting with guys, Lewis laughing loud, Booger picking his nose, Booger and his fiance belching, Ogre being ogreish, the Asian nerd saying "smile pretty please!" and "I drink to that!", the Omega Mu's showing up as everyone calls them fat, the nerds trying to topple the mean ol' nerd-hating establishment and proving that it's not what's on the outside that counts, but the inside.

Sound familiar? Good God, this sucks. And the first sequel was awful in its own right. How were two more movies made?!

Is there any other series out there that had a solid first movie and increasingly awful sequels (emphasis on plural)? Obviously, the "Ghoulies" series does not count.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Aladdin

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Police Academy. Oh no, wait, you said the first movie had to be good...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha I think Police Academy is our winner.

And like the first Nerds, it was a.) funny and b.) delightfully R-rated. The rest? Not so much.

SC, there were Aladdin sequels?!

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"Bernie's back and he's still dead." -- Well, no shit.

6. Norman Stansfield

Revenge of the Nerds was a true 80s classic, and they just ran it into the ground with those sequels.

Caddyshack has been oft-discussed on here and had only one sequel, but it was SO putrid it might rank as one of the worst movies ever made.

7. Norman Stansfield

Oh yeah, what about National Lampoon's Vacation?

The original -- A classic.
    European Vacation -- OK.
    Christmas Vacation -- Eh.
    Vegas Vacation -- Ehhhhh, although I do find parts of it funny. Especially Nick Pappagiorgio, the software salesman from Yuma. And Jilly from Philly.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Rocky. From Academy Award for Best Picture to ... well, the rest of them.

End. Of. Thread.

(I've always wanted to say that)

9. Norman Stansfield

Rocky would seem to rank near the top of this list, yes.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd love to see a double matinee playing this alongside Caddyshack 2. ::)

[​IMG]

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Can you "end. of. thread" yourself?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Subtitle should have been: "Jim Carrey And Jeff Daniels Were Smart And Smarter."

Draft saved Draft deleted