1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst recurring stories you have to write

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Jan 27, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

My next fan story will be the last story I ever write. Someone, whether it's the 19th consecutive fan who doesn't quote well or me, isn't making it through it alive.

2. I need to correct myself. As much as I hate this election story, it's not nearly as bad as the run of the mill weather story. What makes that worse is I have to go around in said bad weather trying to find someone to say something interesting about it - yet it will be bright and sunny by the time people actually read the story.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come on dude, don't even compare track to swimming. Track is fun, swimming is just terrible.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The man-on-the-street stories suck.

Usually you interview people for non-contentious reasons, too.

A couple years ago, Pennsylvania legislators passed a pay raise in the middle of the night at the end of the session. A couple months later, after being repeatedly skewered and a bunch of them losing seats, they repeal it. So I'm sent down to the town square the next morning to ask people what they think of this shocking development. Of course everyone was in favor of them terminating the raises. Not one person was screaming, "Give Mr. Politician Douchebag more money!"

5. Yep. I had to go around the other day asking folks if they would be in favor of a tax increase. The suspense was killing me. ::)

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That, and school board meeting stories. School boards are filled with some of the most arrogant folks I've ever met, and many superintendents think they're vastly superior to the rest of the population. Fuck them gently with a chainsaw, I say.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Anything having to do with sewage lines.

8. I struggle the most with recurring stories because I'm always struggling with a fresh angle. I have a hard time mailing it in.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about "Field"?

10. The only thing worse than track is field.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"i ran as hard as i could."

"that was a PR, you know."

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I love track meets. Granted, I ran competitively until halfway through college, but i really enjoy covering races.

Man on the street stories aren't something i enjoy. i hate trying to localize something by talking to 15 random strangers. As a reader, i want to hear what someone who is actually informed has to say on the issue, not what my next door neighbor has to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted