1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst professional sports town in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

?

This has to do with the public fan intelligence, the support for the teams...anything not including

1. New York

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Los Angeles

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. San Fran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-Washington

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Chicago

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Atlanta

52 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Dallas/FW

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Denver

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Detroit

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Miami

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  11. Minneapolis-St Paul

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. Philly

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  13. Phoenix

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  14. Cleveland

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  15. Houston

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  17. Pittsburgh

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  18. St. Louis

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  19. Tampa

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  20. Cincinnati

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  21. Kan City

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  22. San Diego

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  23. Milwaukee/Green Bay

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  24. Charlotte N.C.

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  25. Indianapolis

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  26. New Orleans

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  27. Buffalo

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  28. Nashville

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  29. San Antonio

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  30. Jacksonville

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  31. Memphis

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  32. Orlando

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  33. Portland

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  34. Sacramento

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  35. Salt Lake

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  36. Columbus

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  37. Raleigh

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One can almost say the same for DFW, minus the extra NBA pro franchise (I count Anaheim as separate as well). DFW has the four majors (yes, the Rangers count :) ), an MLS club with a sweet park, AA minor baseball and several indie league teams, and throw in horse racing, two PGA tournaments, and two NASCAR races that draw 200K+ in April and November.

College football is DFW's Achilles heel -- lack of a BCS team; the closest one is Baylor. 5A high school football playoff games frequently outdraw TCU, SMU and North Texas. TCU (when ranked), the State Fair games and Cotton Bowl are just about it as far as big-time college football. (ADD: Forgot the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth — that's easy to do.)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boy, if you're representative of Philly fans, buckdub's argument is made. An injury should NEVER be cheered.

As for St. Louis, it has a passionate hockey fan base. Sure, there's a variance of about 4,000 in attendance depending on how the team is doing, but there are parts of town where the Blues are as popular as the Cardinals.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Screw this shit about Philly. I still say BOSTON should be right behind Atlanta. Yet that is still not an option!

4. Oh, please ... this isn't high school, college, amateurs, semi-pros or even horse racing. Fuckin' millionaires playin' ball. Some are assholes. Some get hurt. He's laughing all the way to the bank and to the Hall of Fame. He'll live.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As much as pro fans can suck, college fans suck even worse. Give me the Boston defensiveness, the NY arrogance, the Philly malevolence, the Chicago tunnel vision, the Atlanta apathy, the Dallas fickleness, the LA vacuity, etc., over the average D-1 college fanatic alumnus douchebag any day of the week.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Boston should be on the list, but all this bitching about Boston fans is incredibly hilarious to me. Tuesday night, Boston fans got on the umpire (as happens in every city with a baseball team), and used his FIRST NAME to taunt him. So, the "not knowledgeable" thing is out. Total hogwash. As for support, the Patriots sell out every single game and have permeated the whole region, the Red Sox just had their highest attendance since WWII (two nights after a disappointing loss to a team they probably should have beaten), the Bruins still sell out plenty of games, and the hapless Celtics still draw and have their loyal supporters. So please, spare me anything about the fans not supporting the teams. The city has one of the top-rated sports radio stations in the country, and supports four major pro teams as well as a vibrant college scene in addition to several minor professional sports teams. I have no problem with Boston being somewhere near 10 on this list, but to put it behind Atlanta is no more than spite, and in PhilaYank's case, homerism on a level just as bad, if not worse, than the homerism that kept it from being on this survey.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

the ATL.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gotta side with write on this one. so philly fans booed MI and SC, so what? MI is/was an asshole and the SC thing actually is kinda funny. i mean shit, who really hates santa?

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't think anyone's questioning Boston's loyalty or anything like that. But the whole "Woe is me" Red Sox shit we had to endure for years has been replaced by the equally-annoying "Red Sox Nation." And the Patriots and their fans get on everyone's nerves ... except for ESPN, whose never-ending Patriot blowjob is beyond sick.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's one thing to have idiot fans (Philly, Boston) but at least they have fans...

I remember covering a Braves playoff game with 5,000 open seats... The Marlins fans are just as bad, but at least they support the Dolphins... Until the Falcons got Michael Vick, you could walk up on the day of the game and get tickets just about anywhere...

Jacksonville fans are horrendous unless Florida and Georgia are playing...

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

So how does that exactly qualify Boston for a Worst Sports Town? What do you want, a city that treats each team with love and respect, and has no outrageous fans? Doesn't exist.

12. boots

boots New Member

New York is getting a free pass here and it shouldn't. The biggest assholes are in the NYC area. You can get your ass kicked free of charge going to and inside any NYC area sporting venture. A trip to the bronx is taking your life in your hands, especially after dark.

Draft saved Draft deleted