1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst No. 1 NFL draft picks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Do you think Rivals.com got it right with their top 10 worst No. 1 draft picks?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Somewhat

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Darren McFadden is a guaranteed supertsar!! He's DARREN MCFADDEN!!!!!!" [/E60reporters]

(I just noticed the typo on superstar, but I kind of like "supertsar."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Talk about firing up the Wayback Machine.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. I remember learning the story on some old NFL Films show. He was a bonus pick, first overall, in 1956 (Don't ask me to explain the bonus pick. I forget what the deal was.) They took him because they loved his versatility. Too bad that just meant he was below average at a whole bunch of positions.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

One more factor: he's from upstate NY (Syracuse).

The Bills needed to fix a horrid defense that had allowed a franchise record 394 points in 1971, and Lombardi Award winner Patulski was the obvious choice. He did lead Buffalo with five sacks in his rookie year, but instantly became the second-best DE on the roster when the Bills traded for Earl Edwards the following season. He didn't suck; he just never lived up to the #1 hype. Still, you won't find much argument from Bills fans about this one.

On the other hand, we like Cousineau -- trading him to Cleveland brought the pick used to select Jim Kelly. Worth every penny of the contract he never signed.

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I dunno. He never lived up to his potential and the dogfighting thing really damaged the Falcons. They were horrible last season, and they may be just as bad for the next couple of years. The Falcons may be worse off than when they drafted Vick. That's a pretty good sign that you were a bust.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He led them to 2 of their 8 franchise playoff appearances in 40+ years. One of their two NFC conference championships. The Falcons went from having empty seats to a waiting list after he arrived.

He left damage on the franchise. But, they are still better off for having had him on the team.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

my buddy jeff lageman should not be on any "bust" list. he was a solid player for a pretty long time. 8) 8) 8)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good thread Alley - the fact that NFL fans under 30 never heard of him is no reason to leave him off list. A bad pick is a bad pick. I would list Patulski near the top but in the context of 1972 draft overall it was not bad. Not many good players came out that year . ( the best Franco Harris at # 13 by Steelers)

I would have to put Jeff George on list before Vick and I would also have to include John Matuszak drafted by Houston in 1973 . In fact Matuszak might be at top of my list.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Now you're just saying that to piss me off, aren't you Boom. :D

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the fact that folks don't know the name "walt patulski" tells you what a supreme bust he was, no?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Go back before the AFL-NFL merger and there are number one busts that make Tim Couch look like John Elway. Terry Baker? How about Randy Duncan by Green Bay in 1958? He was a QB, and they already had Bart Starr and Paul Hornung on the team.
    But this is a question with a simple answer. The worst number one of all time was the first one. In 1936, the Eagles (no surprise they qualified for the pick) chose Jay Berwanger of the University of Chicago. Berwanger never played a down. He never signed a contract. He went to medical school so he could make real money.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not necessarily. Usually, colossal failures get quite a bit of press. Heaven's Gate? Battlefield Earth? George W. Bush?

Draft saved Draft deleted