1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Logos in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Portland's logo isn't even the worst in its conference:

[​IMG]

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've always liked the Raptors logo. The bad-ass dinosaur checking his blindside as he dribbles downcourt.

On the other hand, what the fuck is a Laker? They'll probably go down as one of the coolest logos because, well, they're the Lakers, but seriously, WTF?

The only lakes in Los Angeles are cesspools and tar pits.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Clearly you're joking. Right?

5. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

See, i'm a diehard Rockets fan and love their current look. It isn't clean and overbearing, IMO. Also remember that the team is coming off those hellish days when the cartoon was their logo :|.

As far as the article, I like Dallas', Memphis' and Tennessee's logos. I also like the Rays', it looks pretty clean.

I also think Portland's is okay as well. Come to think about it, I disagree with half of the list.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Thing is, that Bills logo isn't the original. They were an update from the original standing buffalo the Bills used until the 1970s. And the flying buffalo with the spear coming out of it is very 70s.

I think the Bills used white helmets until 1984 or 85, when they switched to red. Those uniforms, though, are hideous.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Raptors' logo is beyond ridiculous. That dinosaur is far more cartoon than "bad-ass."

8. Armchair_QB

They switched to red helmets because three of the other four teams in the AFC East at the time (Miami, Baltimore/Indy & New England) wore white helmets and they wanted a different color helmet to make it easier on their QBs.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I hope you're joking. I mean, I guess the same thing could be said about the Dodgers. Not much dodging going on in L.A.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Dodgers, what's with the boring-ass blue logo with no trim anywhere on the jersey? And WTF is up with the red number? The only red in the entire organization is the number on the front of the jersey.

At least other teams have a little trim on the arms.

Sheesh.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I guess I'll say it...

The "Lakers" name originated in 1947 (I think?) after the team moved to Minnesota from Detroit where they were called the Detroit Gems. Minnesota's motto is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes."

When they moved to L.A. in 1960, they retained the name.

12. Armchair_QB

And "Dodgers" comes from the fact their fans had to dodge streetcars to get to the park to watch them play when they were in Brooklyn.

Draft saved Draft deleted