1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever, right? No really, it is the worst lede ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ah, the lax standards of Canadian "journalism" where an obsolete fossil like Red Fisher can rationalize his laziness in shunning locker rooms by flippantly saying nobody in there has anything interesting to say.

Par for the course in a land where people embrace Don Cherry's xenophobic blather.

2. How can you defend this garbage? No, you can't find something this bad in anybody's work, if that's what you're trying to say. What the hell kind of observation is that?

I can.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What if Rosie were a guy?

The lede is still the most horrific thing ever, but does the editor say something then?

I honestly can't fathom how this made it into print and how there hasn't been some outcry for the columnist's job.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean all Americans do is plagiarize and make up sources. Have Canadians no standards?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought the lede was just fine.

OK, not really. It was quite inappropriate.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow, Canuckistani pride trumps all, eh?

There's a reason almost nobody in the U.S. has heard of this woman. Big smelly fish, small pond.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

#POY13

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, first chance to log in today.

Maybe, as Smasher says, we're a bunch of lazy, misogynist racists. Or maybe IJAG hit it on the head. I don't know Mark Whicker, but when I read that one column, I thought, "Firing offence." But when I saw people passionately defend his entire body of work, I realized that even the best of us can make a horrible mistake.

That's what I see here. I know Rosie's entire body of work. She has written strong columns on tough subjects. Columns that would impress the people who are trashing her now. She screwed up on this one...what else can I say? And, in the internet era, she will pay dearly for it.

But she's done a lot more good than harm and she's respected. If that's unacceptable to any of you, well I'll just have to live with that.

Sorry, I can't remember who asked about her having a no-edit policy. I honestly wouldn't know the answer to that.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's just it, Elliotte. She'll pay dearly for it... or benefit from it?

The Toronto Star still has it up. No apologies. no acknowledgement of a mistake. They're enjoying the hits, the fuckers.

I'm sorry, Elliotte. You're a gentleman. You don't deserve to have your city insulted. This one's gotten to me for some reason.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/article/1318082

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

What a crock of shit.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tone deaf.

'Grotesque' would have worked. Inane and goofy does not.

Draft saved Draft deleted