1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever, right? No really, it is the worst lede ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You don't "agree" with it, Elliotte? That's a little tame for what it is, don't you think?

She wasn't expressing an opinion with which one might agree or disagree.

She was attempting to state a fact, and she was incorrect.

The bad taste the Star showed in letting that go, and keeping it up...

It's sick.

If she's really as good as you say, she'll recognize this was a profound mistake and apologize. She might be a 'tough gal' who's 'seen it all' and 'doesn't give a rat's ass' .... Does that make her above reproach? Own up, tough lady.

I'm so much more fired up about this than Manti Te'o.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Elliotte, is Rosie's work untouchable by editors? I just can't imagine how anyone would allow such a horrible thing in print. It's beyond terrible.

If this is any example of her writing doing the talking, I wouldn't choose to listen to anything she had to say.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know—can I repeat that: I'm just guessing here—but given that Rosie is one of the city's most powerful newspaper columnists, I wouldn't be surprised if she has a no-edit clause, or at least editors would need her approval to change something.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If this happens at the New York Times... Ok well nevermind, this wouldn't happen at the New York Times... But let's say it went up for 5 minutes on somebody's New York Times blog or something... Everybody involved is fired, right?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So the consensus now is that this is OK? Trending that way, at least?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to reiterate what Type and EF have said.

Rosie is one of the most high profile columnists in the largest circulating newspaper in Canada. She is also one of the hardest working reporters around. She covers high profile court trials, sports, the goings-on at city hall and has also reported from war zones She strikes me as someone who works 24/7

Now, I think that this lede was horrible but you can find almost any godawful example in a writer/artist/musicians work. That does not define them.

Rosie's one of my must-reads when I pick up the Star and yes, she can be infuriating sometimes but no one can deny her abilities.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ask Mark Whicker if one column defines you.

If she's a hard-working reporter, then she shouldn't have this column. She should also know better than to make light of sexual assault. I mean, everyone should. But if you're a "hard-working reporter" then you REALLY should.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone is saying it's okay. I'm just providing some local context. I think a lot of people thought she was some nobody who was going to be thrown over the side for this. She's far from a nobody, and she's not getting fired for this.

Again, I'm not saying that lede is okay. I'm just giving you the facts of the matter.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good lesson for young journalists: Keep your head down and work hard until you've fully established yourself. At that point, keep working hard, but don't worry any longer about good taste, professionalism or common decency.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Another terminal disease for this perfection that needs to be cured.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

She can make herself out to be an asshole all she wants. But this is the kind of shit that reflects badly on us all. Stupid shit like this give people that much more reason to hate reporters and the media. And for what? So she can feel clever? Fuck her and her ego.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I can deny her ability. She sucks. I'd have fired her ass the minute that rolled off the press. Fuck her and her shittyass agenda. That shit belongs in Hustler or something. Dumb bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted