1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst leads you have seen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Feb 25, 2008.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

One would think.......

2. times38

times38 Member

"Who would've thought the first pitch could mean so much?"

3. ARD

ARD Member

The weekend after 9/11:
    "Bugtussle U. is falling out of the frying pan into the fire Saturday when it plays Powerhouse U. ..."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm a firm believer in supporting the desk against hyper-sensitive writers, but for fucking out loud. i might have snapped if someone changed my lede to that lame crap.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

There's always the Fourth of July fireworks metaphor that NEVER gets old.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It was all tricks and no treats for Buttfuck State University on Halloween Saturday in Crapper County.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Back in my small-daily sports editor days, I informed every stringer I had that if I ever got a "Friday the 13th" lede, they'd never write for me again.

8. I find these threads to be worthless, because 95 percent of the hacks in the world have butchered a lede or two in their day. We've all done it. While it's OK to tell kids try and avoid (insert cliched lede here) there isn't one of us that, while watching some dogass game and stumped for something to lead with, hasn't at least once written the kind of drivel that would get you blasted on this board for being a no-talent douche.
    Sometimes, the games suck. Sometimes, your game stories suck. Try to get better. The end.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i change my answer to: I find these threads to be worthless ..."

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

[​IMG]

Lighten up, Francis.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I posted this one on one of the other boards, but I'll repeat it here because, frankly, it bears repeating.
    "How good was Powerhouse's defense against Sacrificial Lamb in Friday night's football game? As the kids would say, 'Sick, dawg, real sick.'"

FYI: That one didn't get by me. That ran about a year before I arrived at that paper. Honestly, it gives me chills.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw that. I don't think there's a copy editor out there that would let it slip through anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted