1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst high school athletic program in the country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, May 25, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Goddard's seen a nice spike in its attendance, too, now that you mention it.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I imagine that you could look at every metro school district in the United States and find at least one of those kinds of schools, one where they lose in every sport or nearly every sport.
    Metro school in my neck of the woods won its first football game in five years last season. Basketball is terrible, soccer, track, everything but baseball.
    The school has fairly odd demographics with it being the primary school for a large military base and they have a transfer problem, as in the starting quarterback's dad will get transferred and the family will leave for the next base. Then the coach has one to seven days to get a new starting QB.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm sure, too, that the most sought-after teaching and coaching jobs are at affluent suburban schools and private schools and that's another reason city schools don't tend to do as well.
    Another factor is feeder systems. If the high school coaches have to teach kids things they should have learned in the fifth and sixth grade, if not earlier, that's going to put the high school program at a disadvantage.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Feeder systems also tend to bunch talented kids together. Our town has a little league that periodically sends teams to Williamsport. When they are 12, they are usually scattered among two high school zones. By the time they are in high school, they all tend to end up at the same high school. Parents want to keep the good thing going.

So imagine how bad the rival school gets at the sport when all its best players leave for the other school...

Draft saved Draft deleted