1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst helmets in the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 8, 2006.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When I was little, I thought that Cincy painted strips of bacon on its helmets. And they still do look like that.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Quoting from the NFL Fact and Record Book:

``1952: Ted Collins sold the New York Yanks franchise back to the NFL on Jan. 19. A new franchise was awarded to a group in Dallas after it purchased the assets of the Yanks on Jan. 24. The new Texans went 1-11, with the owners turning the franchise back to the league at midseason. For the last five games of the season, the commissioner's office operated the Texans as a road team, using Hershey, Pa., as a home base. At the end of the season, the franchise was canceled, the last time an NFL team failed.

1953: A Baltimore group headed by Carroll Rosenbloom was granted a franchise and was awarded the holdings of the defunct Dallas organization on Jan. 23. The team, named the Colts, put together the largest trade in league history, acquiring 10 players from Cleveland in exchange for five.''

So the Colts were started with the players left over from the failed Dallas team, but the Texans did not become the Colts.

One thing that intrigued me about that entry is the trade with Cleveland. Back then I believe rosters were only 33 players, so it seems the Browns, who had just played in the NFL Championship Game (and lost to the Lions) in 1952, traded away almost a third of their team a few months later. Weird.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

You da man, uh... da man.

:)

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Qui es mas gayer, the Patriots original guy or the Bucs' original guy?

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Are you asking which is gayer? (I never took spanish and I dropped out of French, not sure which language that is) But by far the Patriots original is much gayer. Never liked it was happy when they ditched Patriot Pete or whatever they call him and went to the so-called Elvis Patriot. The former looked amateurish, liked they picked him out of a clip art package.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

I never liked the old hiking Patriot, but as far as which is gayer, I beg to differ with Beef. Bucco Bruce and the creamsicles are the gayest logo and uniforms in football history. And it's not even close. That is the single most welcome uniform/logo/color change ever, in any sport. And this is coming from someone who loved the Astros' peach melba-striped uniforms.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The gay swashbuckling Buccaneer is by far the gayest mascot in NFL history.

When you're costume can be described in Carly Simon's "You're So Vain," you're gay.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You know, Freelance, if you add a swishy hat and a pirate blade to that photo in your avatar, you'd be pretty close to the Bucs' logo.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I got so caught up in bashing the Pats old logo, that I blocked out the gayness of the Bucs old logo, which is quite flaming

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I dig the orange duds, which supposedly is the SportsJournalists.com equivalent to coming out.

[​IMG]

Anyone know boots' phone number? :D :D :D

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You know, that still trumps what the Bucs have now. Just a classic look.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I was a Bucs fan for two reasons: 1.) I liked orange and 2.) I felt sorry for them.

When they earned a playoff spot that first season in pewter, I ceased being a fan. The "lovable loser" tag no longer applied; they became just another team.

Draft saved Draft deleted