1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst helmets in the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No autographed gloves? :-\

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

He should have signed "Nordberg" instead.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Errict Rhett? Oh man, he broke my heart many a Sunday in my fantasy leagues back in the day.

4. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

I'll just post a big wide ranging review; a helmet is either yah or nay. In no particular order:

The Yah's:

Jets..joe willie cool, but always felt a team named "jets" could have come up with something really neat (and they tried for a decade or so and missed badly).
    Miami...hmmm, the helmet immediatily says Miami. so on that level it works, but they've screwed around with the colors, etc, but, this helmet is still getting it done.
    Indy....BEST helmet of all time? Should be considered. the simple horseshoe, the simple stripe. horseshoe, brilliant, fits on the helmet great. Second hand reference to the real name of the team. brilliant. IT WORKS. Prob, my #1.
    Pitt...winnner, always, super bowls, odd ball story of single logo, black-yellow combo. winner winner winner
    Browns...eh. just don't f--- them up. always a yah.
    Denver...minority here. the faux stripes work here. the stallion is modern. Like it.
    KC...another simple winner. had the white face guards early and it works. Simple, similar to colts.
    Oakland...silver helmet, single stripe, great logo. Among best ever. And NEVER needed anything other than a grey face guard. good job.
    SD...pine for the whites (with #) , but have to live with the currents, which are still OK.
    Jints...the new old NY works great. Why did it take so long,
    Dallas...super duper super. simple. silver+blue+white= nice scheme.
    N.O.....great helmets always. maybe best black/color combo in NFL history. Love the logo, indirect, colt style. Well done.
    Chicago...fine simple great. no need to touch ever.
    Detroit...Hmmmm. Shocker, I like the logo, I like the black touchups, but, the badness of the team hurts this helmet's rankings but I give it a yah.
    Green Bay....no words needed. cool. not great. cool.
    Minnie...I actually have always loved the faux viking helmet horns as "corny" but cool.
    Cards....I always loved the all white + simple logo, but the new logo actually makes it even better.
    SF... on the good helmet side, cause the SF logo is too too good to ever to make this helmet a clunker. but jeez, i saw some montana/craig era clips recently, and the old simple (no black hilights) 49'er helmet looked spartan and almost Raider like. That's hi praise.

And the Nays:

Washington...I like them. Love the colors. Hate the Redskin. Come up with something.
    Falcons...terrible. see: Bartkowski, Steve. better helmets than you think. sometimes the 70's were ok.
    Phila...I try to like them. Try. But I keep going back to RC wings and even back to Pete Laske/Roman G simple green wings and like them better
    Jacksonville...Horrible. Say that about ten times. They originally had a decent logo (lunging/flying panther) but Ford Motor sued them and it was KO'd. Bad helmet, decent uni's.
    Seattle...bad color. the logo is actually ok in the wrap around style.
    St. Louis....LOVED blue-whtie helmets, Ok with Blue-yellow, Hate Blue-gold. Too bad, once great.
    Tennessee...Looks like a thumbtack on fire. With horrible faux striping to boot. Too too horrible.
    Houston...cubistic steerhead. hmm. With a stupid team name like "Texans" did they best they could for a logo.
    New England...I like the current "Elvis in a tourban" helmets, most NE'ers don't. I agree, the old Pete Patriot worked well. I can live with Elvis, but Pete was good enough.
    Buffalo...horrible hat. The retro game last year confirmed what everybody now knows: the white OJ 2,000 yard helmets were the franchise's best effort.
    Baltimore....a bird with a B on head? Faux stripes to pile on the stupidity.
    Carolina: worst (first?) faux stripe. stupid looking logo. had a nice columbia blue to use and nothing.
    Tampa...too contrived. too much from a marketing dept. I like the pewter, good idea, but just a different simple logo and single stripe would have been nice.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

actually, the WHITE Eagles helmet with the green wing was lots better

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

His other name is M'Lynn

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Those are cool.

What about the Lions? It lays there on the helmet like some stuffed animal one of my kids left on the living room floor.

I hate the blue Broncos, go back to orange ...

Shit. Before I go on, I might as well say it ... every team go back to what you wore in 1978 because its the first year I followed the NFL and it's what I identify with.

I'm an old geezer fuck ...

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You:1978 NFL :: me:1987 MLB

Mmm, loves me some wooden-grain Topps cards ... my first and only set ... :D

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I can't stand the new Lions helmets. The black looks so out of place, like they just slapped it on there because black was the cool colour of the moment.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chet the Jet cited the Texans as being a stupid team name, and while there was an earlier team named the Texans (they were in Dallas and Houston, I believe), quite a few people voted for the Toros, which would have been more appropriate given the helmet.

Hell, I suggested the Rattlers or the Vipers ... that way they could have called the stadium the Snake Pit and the fans could have had rattle-filled snakes, like they did during the brief Kenny Stabler era in the Oilers days.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The original Dallas Texans I believe were the last NFL team to fold -- early '50s, I think it was 1953, but don't hold me to that. The next Dallas Texans, of the AFL, are now the Kansas City Chiefs.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Didn't the original Texans become the Baltimore Colts?

Draft saved Draft deleted