1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And he hits once every two or three innings, and he might have one ball hit to him at the same rate.

Surely you see this.

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I do. But he hits four times a game, six days a week. The pitcher pitches 7 innings a game, less than twice a week.

There's a reason why pitchers don't win MVPs. They don't affect the game nearly as much as their hitting counterparts.

3. Hammer Pants

I disagree, and I'd take the pitcher every time. Agree to disagree, I guess.

4. Hammer Pants

I think more people don't give pitchers MVPs because they consider the Cy Young the pitchers' MVP award.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

That's not the argument the two writers used when they didn't vote for Pedro in 1998.

Edit to clarify:
    Apparently, they also used that argument.

In the end, I suppose it's a taste thing. Probably should admit that I grew up going to Coors Field/Mile High Stadium for baseball games. I suspect this influences my opinions a bit.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i take the pitcher because they're tougher to find

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Even if Daniels isn't the worst GM, he's a huge asshole for sending a great young arm to a team managed by Dusty Baker.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Coletti. Overpaid Juan Pierre in 2007, so then he goes and gets Andruw Jones, compounding the mistake. The Dodgers drafts were weak in the past couple of years. He signed Garciaparra and Kent - those might have been good moves if they were missing pieces to make a real run in the playoffs, but they weren't - it just made the Dodgers just good enough to make the playoffs in 2006. He has made a mess of things with no sign of being a good team on the horizon.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Disagree about the Dodgers' drafts being weak recently. Their farm system is pretty stocked, and Logan White has quite the reputation for finding more guys. I give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus, with their budget, they don't need a great farm system like some other ballclubs do.

Draft saved Draft deleted