1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst FB media guide you've gotten so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blandcanyon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

And thanks to the ACC's move a couple years ago. It seems the guides are worse now. At least when they were big, you could pull propaganda out. Now, they're killing information. And how can we change this?

Your vote for most irrelevant guide so far is:

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't have a nomination for the worst, but this is one of the (non-football) best...

http://athletics.csi.edu/volleyball/vbMediaGuide.pdf

We had a thread on this before, if I recall....

3. NFL division ... Jets & Raiders are both disgraceful

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Alabama. It's a coffee table/picture book. No year-by-year results, no records, no nothing of historic value.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Does the guide have fold-out legs and built-in coasters?

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Troy University, close to 200 pages. Why is it that large? When they've only been playing DI football for a few years. Do anyone really care about their small college days? Also, printed at the bottom of each page is, "2006 New Orleans Bowl Champions." Big Freaking Deal!

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Sorry Troy didn't win the Rose Bowl for ya. They'll try harder this season.
    Perspective, anyone?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's what happens when you use it as a recruiting book and limit the size. Why make things useful when we can gloss over in four-color?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just because a school changed classes recently doesn't diminish its past. They get 200 pages to use anyway it wants and they've had good success at lower levels, hell yeah mention it. It helps show steady progression up the ladder and tells why.
    Should Marshall ignore its D1-AA titles? History doesn't begin the moment a school moves up a class. To think otherwise is folly.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's why I'm glad I cover an FCS (I-AA) school. Those media guides actually have information you can use.

Iowa has a media guide _ and then another guide with all of the historical information, opponent information, plus all of the pertinent player bios that are also in the main guide. My beat writer takes the secondary guide with her everywhere, and leaves the "media" guide on the desk.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I just saw Texas' yesterday and they instered a printout that said, to this affect, "if you want records, stats and year-by-year history, visit www.insertUTwebsite.com."

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It was clear this was going to happen when the NCAA instituted the 208* policy. The last group to be served by the "media guide" would be the media. Gotta think about the recruits, boosters, university donors, fans, etc. first. I have a problem with the fact these "media guides" come out of sports information budgets - they should now come out of marketing or development budgets. Have the SID budget pay for the secondary books, the ones with the important information, but don't suck their budget dry with glossy bullshit (oh, and all photography usually comes out of the SID budget as well).

* It's 208, because bound publications are produced in 16-page signatures. It would be either 208 or 192.

Draft saved Draft deleted