1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Fan Experiences?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

But they don't, so it's a non-starter.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's a non-starter?

I'm not asserting anything but the NFL's unwillingness to change.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess. Which is why the only professional sporting events I attend in person are tennis matches.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread -- and my own experiences witnessing 49ers and Raiders game -- again has me wondering: Why does ANYONE go to an NFL game, ever, for any reason? It doesn't hold a candle to the TV experience.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A few (several/many) years ago the NFL did these TV spots where there was some guy showing his posterior and the crowd turns on him. I remember the theme song being "Sit down you're rocking the boat" or some such thing. Anybody remember those?

More in line with the discussion, I have season tickets at Jerry-dome here in Arlington, but I generally go to only one regular season game a year (a buddy buys the rest). That one visit is usually more than enough to remind me why I don't go more often. If I am going to take my kids (18, 14 and 10) we go to a preseason game.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ask Mile High.

Being the building when something amazing happens -- especially when it's for your team -- is way, way, way beyond any possible TV experience. The feeling that you're part of it, the crowd going crazy, the atmosphere and all that cannot be approached in your living room.

Edit: Not to mention the bragging rights -- "I was there when Tebow and the Broncos beat the Steelers in OT!"

If you just want to watch the game and know what's going on, you're probably right that you're better off watching on TV. If you're a fan, you want to be there.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As for the difference in behavior at sporting event vs. other forms of entertainment: The game offers competition, an us-against-them mentality you won't find at the movies or the opera or a concert. And it is far more pronounced in a team sport because of the group dynamic and the fact there is one clear enemy (rather than the field at a golf tournament or a race). Add in the speed/violence/athleticism of whatever game you're watching (and alcohol), and that breeds more emotion, passion, anger what have you, which all too often leads to a loss of judgment.

In my humble opinion, of course.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. Pass the popcorn, please.

Buy to echo da man's post ...

Someone with an entertainment background asked me once why we even go cover the games, thinking instead the story ends after the big preview. At the games, they keep score for all to see. There's a winner and a loser. There's no scoreboard at a play showing how many lines were flubbed, or notes missed at the opera.

I think gambling is a factor too. Quick, what was the over/under on how many Empire starfighters Luke Skywalker would shoot down?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If they wanted to stop the violent behavior they should institute a dress code. You never saw this loutish behavior in the 40's and 50's when everyone wore a suit to games.

10. doodah

doodah Guest

Please stop making me out to be stupid. I'm trying not to instigate at all here and I thought this was an intelligent discussion.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

To piggyback on this - the crowds are sporting events are asked to become "part of the game" - team want a home field advantage and do everything they can to encourage their fans to get whipped into a frenzy. When the Jumbotron instructs fans to "MAKE SOME NOISE" or "GET LOUD" or "GO CRAZY," fans are going to respond to that. With a mob mentality, some fans are going to attempt to one-up the guy next to them to prove who is the loudest, craziest and "biggest fan" of the team. So at some point, simply cheering for your team isn't enough - it becomes also about rooting against the other team. Then it becomes about confronting the other team's fans. And then confront your team's fans who aren't following your lead because, well, they clearly are a bunch of pussies who aren't true fans like you.

My worst fan story: 1998 Gold Cup Finals - USA vs. Mexico at the Los Angeles Coliseum. My girlfriend (now wife) got us tickets for Valentine's Day. Being naive, I thought it would be fun to really get into the spirit of it with my jersey and an American flag.

Bad mistake. It started with getting death threats in Spanish (which I speak well enough to know what cuss words people are hurling at me) shouted at me from before the match started (shockingly, the stands were 95 percent pro-Mexico). It got worse when pretty much the entire stadium booed the Star-Spangled Banner and started raining debris on us when we stood up for it. About 20 minutes in, Mexico scored and I thought the place was going to turn in Attica. People had brought flare guns into the stands and were shooting them into the crowd. My wife and I were hit with all kinds of debris including a giant nacho cheese container and (I'll admit I'm being woefully optimistic here) liquid from a beer cup.

We left at halftime and it took me years to get her back to a soccer game (we went to the USA/Barbados WCQ at the Home Depot Center, and that was a decidedly more mellow affair). Looking back on it, the situation was deplorable but predictable, and my naive ass didn't help the situation. The match came in the midst of the Prop 187 battle, so there was an ugly specter of racism/jingoism in the air that caused Mexicans fans to basicallly go more nuts than usually. Friends who went to the last Gold Cup final at the Rose Bowl said it was a fairly tame affair, although Pasadena isn't the area by USC, either.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Don't punish people who can hold their drink -- the mark of a gentleman -- because of the dipshits who can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted