1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Fan Experiences?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jan 18, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

We don't demand it though. The security, for the most part, is fairly good. And most people can handle a little bit of ribbing.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

But we're not just talking about a little ribbing, we're talking about physical assaults. When I used to work at Heinz Field in high school, I would see drunken fights in the parking lots all the time, especially after night games.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are fewer fights in the stands at an English Premier League soccer match than at the typical NFL stadium.

Security is much tighter over there compared to here.

4. doodah

doodah Guest

I think a legitimate question to ask, then, is what's the ratio in terms of security at the stadium to security in the various parking lots? I could be wrong, but at most NFL stadiums aren't many parking lots, the ones the majority park in, NOT owned by the stadium/team? If that's true, then the NFL really doesn't have the ability to increase security for these lots. It is up to the people that own the lots, security costs money and maybe they don't want to/ can't afford to hire more/any security for those lots. Of course, if something happens, they can be sued out of their ass, but I digress.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unlike Congress or the President, the NFL can do - and make its subcontractors do - whatever it chooses to do.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think these two things go together. And appreciate the persistence on the question.

Last big event I covered in the UK, the ratio of cops to hooligans looked to be nearing 1 to 1.

7. doodah

doodah Guest

How?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Do yourself a favor....

[​IMG]

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're flying around some kind of bizarro world here.

The NFL is as likely to act out against boorish fan behavior as the NHL is likely to act out against players fighting. Neither wants the change THAT badly.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It should only lose appeal if your sole intention for attending is to be an obnoxious, drunken asshole.

If you are really there TO WATCH AND ENJOY A SPORTING EVENT . . . does the presence of security and the absence of an $8 cup of horse piss really make it less appealing?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, BT. To many, it does. Just wanting it to be another way does not make it that way.

You have more people going to these games wanting the "experience" than caring about the game.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly what I'm saying.

If the NFL wanted change, they could make change overnight.

Draft saved Draft deleted