1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Fan Experiences?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

http://blog.sfgate.com/opinionshop/2012/01/17/should-49ers-fans-be-concerned-about-hooliganism/?tsp=1

Saints fan paints a harrowing picture of a "family" outing to Candlestick Park for the playoffs.
    Having been to Candlestick many times, I know it is a ticking time bomb.
    Recall the incident during the exhibition season.
    How the NFL not act on this by now is amazing.
    This has been going on there for years.
    I have found at Candlestick and elsewhere that the closer you are to the field the less your chances of being harassed by drunken louts.
    Your chances of getting abuse increase exponentially the higher you get in the stadium.
    Family atmosphere?
    The NFL doesn't want little kids and families at football games.
    They want someone that can buy a beer sitting in that seat.
    What's the worst you've seen?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been to Jack Murphy a few times and it wasn't pretty.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not firsthand experience, but I bought my parents tickets to Titans-Dolphins in Nashville at the end of 2010. Walking out of the stadium, they saw about 4-5 older teenagers menacing a short guy and about to kick the crap out of him, at least until a Marine happened by and scared them off.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I can't imagine anybody really having it worse than the LSU fan that had another man's nuts in his mouth.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I've never had a bad experience, even while wearing a Cardinals shirt at Wrigley Field.

In SoCal, I was the only one wearing a Chiefs shirt and cheering when Larry Johnson ran into the end zone to beat the Raiders on the game's last play. I got a few looks from all the Raiders fans in the bar, but no one fucked with me.

Fans that fuck with other teams' fans, that kick the shit out of other teams' fans, aren't fans. They're criminals. And they deserve the fucking they get in jail.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/04/05/giants-fan-beaten-at-dodger-game-suffers-likely-brain-damage/

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Ah, yes. I stand corrected.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Growing up a Browns fan kind of sucked.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

See I disagree with this line of thinking. They sure as shit are fans. But they are ALSO criminals. It is not a one or the other proposition. It can in some cases be both. Annoys the hell out of me when teams are more than willing to count someone as a fan until they do something stupid then they want to pretend that they are completely separate, forgetting just moments before they were all to happy to include them. Doing something stupid, even criminally stupid, does not prevent someone from being a fan.
    There are bad apples in every bunch, girl.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Didn't happen in Philadelphia, therefore no one will care.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And yet, there are still misguided souls who think Stow, and other fans who aren't supporting the home team, deserved their beating ...

Don't know how common it is elsewhere, but the "who's a real fan" debate is compounded by one of the major SoCal gangs adopting the Dodgers' LA cap logo as their emblem. Similar problem in the San Joaquin Valley with another gang calling itself the "Fresno Bulldogs," which thrills the hell out of Fresno State.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let me preface the following by saying I am not a parent. But I am a person who believes that it's incredibly naive of a parent to take a child of any age to a sporting event and expect genteel behavior. It's way over the line to attack or threaten, verbally or physically, another fan. But it's perfectly within the rights of fans to be loud and obnoxious and vulgar, in my opinion. And I'm even OK with boos and mild profanity directed at a fan of an opposing team. Heckling them an entire game is just oafish.

It's not something I would do. But I will fight for a fan's right to idiocy. That's what being a fan is all about. It's in the origin of the word.

Just don't hurt or scare anyone. There's a big difference between calling someone's mother a whore and saying you're going to kick their ass if they turn around again.

Draft saved Draft deleted