1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Contracts Ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rick DiPietro and the Islanders. 15 years, $67.5 million.

After the first two seasons of that deal, he went 14-27 in the last five years before the Isles bought him out.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can we add a team category for the Cleveland Cavaliers on Ted Stepien's watch? Or as the late Pete Franklin called him, T.S., for Too Stupid?

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We need to add Angels and Arte Moreno, too. Matthews, Pujols, Hamilton, taking on all of Vernon Wells bad contract.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Indeed.

The one........the only..........Bill Fralic.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

YES! That's who it was. It was driving me crazy trying to remember who that was.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Fralic was a really good player for awhile.

And $150,000 for the rest of his life isn't all that much in football terms. Say he lives 60 years after that deal -- that's $9 million.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just repeating history under Gene Autry.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Which is nothing by today's standards, but for someone taken in 1985, that's pretty awesome. He got almost $8 million for the first four years in the league, as well as the $150K a year for the rest of his career. He got a better contract that Bruce Smith did that year and he was the top pick of the draft.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I want to say Dan Quisenberry had a lifetime contract with the Royals. Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for KC, I guess), Quiz died at 45.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In 1985, when Fralic signed the contract, Warren Moon was the highest paid player in the NFL with a $1.1 million annual salary and Houston's Dean Steinkuhler was the highest-paid OL at $650k. Fralic made out pretty good.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I think a few of the Royals had contracts like that that were paid out over a period of time.

Given the number of players who are broke within a couple years of their careers ending, getting a six-figure check every year is fucking genius.

12. RecoveringJournalist

I think he signed a 4-year, $7.75 million contract in addition to the $150K a year for life. He made more than the top pick.

Good agent.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted