1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Pioneer Newspapers

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Never worked at a newspaper, but can I play anyway?

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays were by far the worst company I ever worked for.

Under the previous ownership they were the cheapest most arrogant fucks I ever worked for. And they were dishonest too.

Caused me to get out of sports marketing. But I'm thankful for that. I just hope they never win another game.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Me: Jack Kent Cooke, Tribune (twice) and Dean Singleton and Sam Zell.
    Who can beat that?

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

I've almost hit for the cycle:

1) Singleton.

2) Thompson.

3) CNHI (presently)

Throw in a JRC and I've had a golden sombrero.

5. Is that like a dirty sanchez?

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Where's Morris?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Copley allowed an ASE, who took a buyout from one of its papers, to come back to another of its papers as SE. He was a first-class asshole who ruined the department and who laid me off without a reason -- not without VALID reason, without reason, period. Then he was part of a management group that killed off the sister paper 20 miles away.
    That's what I was thinking about when I voted, then I remembered I was at a paper that Singleton bought back when he was a small-timer and less than the newspaper destroyer he is now. I got outta there before the slashing and burning began.

8. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Gatehouse.

Somebody from corporate took sports dept's best laptop because he needed a new one.

Gatehouse sold the paintings on the wall when they took over.

9. jemaz

jemaz Member

The worst I ever worked for does not exist any more (there must be a God). It was Park Communications, based in Ithica NY and owners of small newspapers in many states (including the Manassas Journal Messenger in Virginia). When I first began, I worked for Worrell Newspapers and literally qualified for food stamps while putting in 80 hours a week easy (although they were an inefficient 80 hours). The small Media General publications were largely purchased from Worrell, which also no longer exists. I can only imagine what those companies would do in times like these.

I also worked for Hearst, which I thought was a pretty good company.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

jemaz - did Park also own some TV stations? I heard some horror stories about those stations.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

The next good one I work for, traditional or otherwise, will be the first.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I only worked for one company - Media General. I truly had no complaints during my time there. Pay was excellent, benefits were pretty good and our working conditions were just fine. I traveled a lot and they never made me go cheap. I discovered a per diem error on a long overseas trip and the company paid the difference the next day.
    Now, what they've done since things have gone in the can? A different story and I disagree strongly with a lot of it. But the way they treated me during my time as an employee? Zero complaints.

I did get one call about a pretty expensive dinner in New York. "When you pay for other people, it's fine we just need to know," they said. Uh, that was for me. "Jesus. I hope it was really good." It was, and they paid up. Of course, I spent three full days in NY and my meal total was about 110. Almost all of it on that one dinner. It was really good.

Draft saved Draft deleted