1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. i've only worked at two papers, and both are family owned. no major complaints about either one.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No, but it was something similar. I think they called themselves Horizon.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Here's one for you all: Donrey Media Group. Now know as Stephens Media Group ... small-time, some of the worst bean-counters in the industry.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

... not even in the top 10 worst ...

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

should I feel proud that heartland publications isn't on the list?

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

this one ...

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup, all the same crooked crew. And the two local dailies here are owned by Bradford Publishing, yet another self-dealing spinoff from Hollinger.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0405110149may11,0,127340.story

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

To be fair, they were considered pretty bad back in the day. But now their policies would seem like enlightened management. I'm sure they'd be on the furlough/layoff/paycut bandwagon by this point as well.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The U.S. government

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How can Paxton not be on that list?

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Much as I like to bitch about The Former Paper, I can't dis Freedom too much. Yeah, the pay sucked, but the pay sucks all around. I had pretty damn decent benefits (from the perspective of a single person in good health, at least) and, aside from changing my title from staff writer to "content producer" or some ungodly bullshit-speak of that nature, the great Hand of Corporate never did me wrong.

The only other chain I've worked for is a small rural Arizona outfit by the name of Western Newspapers, Inc. Now those fuckers sucked. The capper was the editor (big guy, well over six feet and rather hefty) of their weekly supplement throwing a piece of office equipment (I think it was a stapler, the details have grown fuzzy as that experience gets blessedly farther behind me) at a 23-year-old female reporter and receiving no punishment whatsoever despite her complaint.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've closed papers for Singleton and Scripps... flip a coin...

Draft saved Draft deleted