1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company to work for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2006.

?

What's the worst newspaper chain to work for?

1. Boone

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. CNHI

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Copley

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Cox

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Gannett

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Heartland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hearst

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. JRC

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  10. Knight-Ridder

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. McClatchy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Ogden

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Patton

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Tribune

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Other

37 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Hey cock knocker, why up so late, masturbating to 10 year old girls pix?

2. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

[​IMG]

And my lawyer has informed me, I can categorically state for the record, I do not whack off to photos of 10-year-old girls. ;)

3. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

JRC stock now at 7.19...You're doing a great job cock knocker JelloDick

4. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

5. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

I wonder who leads among the "other" chains. How many Junior Media Newses and JRs can there be out there?

6. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

I've worked for Gannett... Media News... and an independent. Indy was the best, obviously. Gannett wasn't nearly as bad as I was warned, although not great. Media News gets my vote, but I haven't had the misfortune of working for all the companies.

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I voted in the "Other" category. And here's why.

I took a gig as the SE at my hometown paper, a family owned cat box liner of a newspaper. (First mistake.) In being offered the gig, I was told to run the sports department as I saw fit, because the ME had no interest in sports and, well, I bought it hook, line and sinker. (Second mistake.) I was also told I'd get raises after 90 days, six months and a year because I was concerned about taking a $2 per hour pay cut from my writing job and having to pay for bennies, which were picked up in whole at my first employer. I bought that, too. (Third mistake.)

Once I put in my notice and moved back home, that's when I started to get the inkling maybe something was amiss. I was told I was doing a great job, but those guaranteed pay raises never came. I was waiting on the first one the day they fired me three years later for applying to a bigger, better paper.

If you thought that sucked, it was much worse. You were forbidden from wearing jeans or shorts, although the publisher was in them all the time. There was supposed to be NO conversation in the newsroom because it was apparently distracting to the work process, even though part of that in a newsroom is being able to brainstorm with people. (They said that's what company e-mail was for.) Also, overtime was strictly frowned upon and argued if you worked any.

The best part of it, no pictures bigger than two columns because the publisher thought it meant the writers weren't doing their jobs. No matter if it was local art or Ohio State, nothing gigger than two. Also no bastarding columns.

Speaking of columns, they had to be approved by the publisher before running.

So, it really can get worse folks.

8. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Hmmm. I like the way they think. My kind of people. Are they for sale??

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey bob, one quick question: have you ever sucked all the cock you wanted?

Draft saved Draft deleted