1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company to work for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2006.

?

What's the worst newspaper chain to work for?

1. Boone

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. CNHI

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Copley

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Cox

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Gannett

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Heartland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hearst

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. JRC

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  10. Knight-Ridder

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. McClatchy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Ogden

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Patton

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Tribune

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Other

37 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I've been with Tribune, K-R and recently three years with Gannett. Not sure where all the Gannett hatred comes from in general. The one obvious thing for us has been mileage (hovers around .25). But their medical and 401K have been good for me and I haven't heard many complaints from others.

I travel on my beat and I've never had it scaled back, although the dept. one a whole has taken a hit with its travel budget.

The attention Gannett pays to getting diversity in the paper has its good and bad sides. What's wrong with appealing to everyone? What I don't like is purposely talking to someone because they are a minority. But it hasn't been made too big a deal here. You're asked to take a wide angle approach, but on deadline we all just end up doing what the story demands.

My stints with K-R and Tribune were about the same. Only noticeable thing was better mileage at my K-R stop.

Maybe the paper's circ. has a big part in whether it "appears" the company is good to work for. All of my stops were 100k or more with the exception of my first job at Tribune which was a 40K suburban (which is no longer a Trib property).

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't think it's so much hatred of Gannett, just how homogenized their papers have become. Each looks like the other. JMHO... I think individual papers are trying to break out of the mold with projects and other ideas.

3. Another write-in for Morris.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well hell, that's been the case since the mid '80s when all the Gannett papers were "encouraged" to look like McPaper. (Encouraged Very Strongly, by the gods up the corporate mountain.)

One of the papers I worked for -- NOT a Gannett property -- looked exactly, precisely, like USAT. I could never figure that out: Gannett papers look like that because they are ordered to, so why in the name of holy jumping Jesus would you do it if you WEREN'T Gannett-owned?

5. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

JRC stock..another low today 8.61 and going down like Lindsay Lohan....It's another beautiful day in the JeliDick Neighborhood......Blow me JRC assholes

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Honorable mention vote for Hollinger International.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. For the shit they pulled at the Sun-Times alone, they at least deserve mention.

8. Gannett is the only one on the list that I've worked for, but it was the unhappiest couple of years I've had in my career. It was understaffed, much moreso than any paper I've worked for. As a result, the staff was severely overworked and the attitude was shitty. The city editor drank every day before he came to work and the ME looked the other way for years. The sports editor openly rooted for one of the local schools, especially the girls basketball team, one member of which he later married. The copy chief was married to one of his grunts, and every time they fought (which was often), the desk was in chaos. None of the shooters could stand the photo head, who worked about every third Thursday. Nobody liked it there. Turnover was constant. I'm glad to have escaped when I did. That's my memory of a Gannett paper.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

From what I've heard of friends stuck on that particular prison barge, Boone by far. Media General is not too bad. We got all of the toys we wanted (new 2.8 lens, work cell phones, .37 for mileage) all except for a full AP subscription.

10. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Windows 95 at JRC

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Holy shit. Didn't they stop servicing that software?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We also had Windows 95 at the defunct Scripps paper in Alabama... of course, the company that paid 40M to buy out the JOA was the one responsible for the technology....

Draft saved Draft deleted