1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Commissioner in sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by greg.zeck, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

But was the NBA ever ahead of MLB and the NFL in terms of popularity? I know that my interest in the college and NBA games has waned because of the situation you describe, but the game as a whole has not suffered in terms of popularity, especially overseas.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

No answer other than Bettman should be put forth by informed individuals.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Given Selig's ability to avoid a work stoppage for almost 20 years now, you could argue he's the best of the four.

A few years ago Stern would have been the best, but he's gone downhill fast.

Here are the four, from best to worst: Selig, Stern, Goodell, Bettman.

Bettman is the worst, and it's not even close. This is the third NHL work stoppage in less than 20 years. Fuck him.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Selig has gotten a lot better.

I always liked Goodell, but he has been getting a bit power hungry in the last year or two...

Stern has done a great job. Who said cheaters never prosper? :D

Bettman's league isn't playing games... He loses...

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I know his title isn't commissioner, but can we consider Brian France?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I concur with every word of this.

We're all going to have a serious re-evaluation of Selig's legacy in about 20 years. He gets laughed at in many quarters, and he brings much of that on himself, but the Steroid Era is the only serious stain on his record when you look at everything in context. I truly think he'll be seen as one of the best commissioners of all time in any sport. Baseball is in a far better place — for everyone: players, owners, cities, fans, media, sponsors, TV networks, you name it — than it was when he took over in 1992.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Unless I've missed something, Flair loved working for Vince.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bettman, and it's not even close.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll take the somewhat contrarian view on Bettman...

The criticisms of Bettman are invariably misplaced. He is nothing but a point man for the owners. I can't think of a single major development in the NHL -- good or bad -- that I would lay at the feet of Bettman.

The lockouts are 100% the work of the owners. Bettman is merely the face of their collective will.

It always amuses me when the Stanley Cup is awarded and fans boo Bettman and then cheer their local team's owner. Don't like the lockouts? Blame the owner of your team. THAT'S who is behind it. Bettman is merely a puppet for the owners to hide behind.

(Of course, the NHL is the owner of my local team, but I digress.)

I'm certainly not saying he's a good commissioner, or even better than any of the other three. But really, he isn't worse, either. He's an empty suit doing what he's told, which is exactly what he was hired to do.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hetman is far from an empty suit. He only needs 8 owners to be on his side. Jacobs and bettman run this league. There are big market owners who don't hav e the least bit of say with bettman. This is his and a minority of shit market owners lockout, he is far more powerful and vindictive then you give him credit for

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1994 World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted