1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst/cheesiest sports movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

I can't believe we're this far in and no one has mentioned The Program.

As far as NASCAR movies goes, if you think Days of Thunder is bad and/or cheesy, what then do we say about Stroker Ace, with Burt Reynolds, Loni Anderson and -- gollllllleeeeee -- Jim Nabors?

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

With all of the sudden heat Any Given Sunday is taking I suddenly feel a little sheepish. :-[ I gotta say I love that movie.

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The third mighty ducks movie
    Rocky 5
    The "3" Earnhardt movie that E$PN showed

4. The Replacements and Neccesary roughness weren't meant to win awards, they were guilty pleasure funny. As much as I liked the movie, I have to say that the ending of The Natural was quite a bit high on the cheese factor.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Courtney Thorne-Smith's career has been OK since she was in Side Out.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's okay beef, I loved The Program.

7. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Youngblood with Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze is as cheesy as they come

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I second that. Some very good actors turned in disappointing performances and the scene with the guy getting his eye ripped out was ridiculous.

But LT was very good. Must have been his experience as "Tombstone" Packer on 1st & 10. I wouldn't ask him to play anything other than a football player, but he's not bad. Then again, O.J. Simpson was the star the final few seasons of 1st & 10 and acting ..ahem...giants like Clifford Frazier, Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds and the late Prince Hughes didn't exactly set a high standard.

Ok, going slightly further with my threadjack, Chris Meloni got his start in television on that show late in its run as the team's ex-con quarterback. It's a long way from Oz or SVU, but he stood out already on that show.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No arguing with a man who appreciates the considerable talents of Robert Loggia, but I think it might have been the inimitable Hector Elizondo (Coach Gennero) who came up with the game plan to beat Kansas wih a team that had every player playing on both sides of the ball, a 34-year old quarterback (who many suspect was really 42 based on his apperance) and a former swimsuit model as the kicker.

And people think Charlie Weis is a genius.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I did, too, but I hated the fact that they took out the scene with the players laying down on the road. I know some kids copied it. I firmly believe anybody dumb enough to copy that type of self-destructive behavior is fully capable of finding another way to mangle themselves.

11. Helen Hunt was in "Quarterback Princess."
    May I just add, because nobody else will, the vast, sweeping, nearly limitless vista of cheesy suckitude that is Field Of Dreams.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm kind of with you on that, actually, and may I add (because someone else already did) that The Natural was beyond cheesy, especially since they changed the ending from the book to make it feel-good Hollywood dreck.

Draft saved Draft deleted