1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst career of an NFL MVP belongs to...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive that from 1989-2001 every MVP is a Hall of Famer.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Rich Gannon was the definition of a journeyman before finding a few successful seasons at the tail-end of his career in Gruden's system.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

True. But he was a 4-time Pro Bowler and two-time All Pro, so his peak was definitely longer than that of Sipe or Jones.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Without looking at the list I was going Gannon until Sipe was mentioned. Good call. Bert Jones was a stud and I loved watching him play. I believe he threw the ball as well as anybody ever has. Great mechanics, quick release, strong arm. He was also insanely tough. He was hurt but always battled through. Without the injuries I think he would have been an all timer. If I remember correctly he was expected to run some option at LSU so while he was as pure a passer as I remember he was a very fine runner as well. What might have been. If you are too young to have seen him I suggest searching for some video. I assume it is out there on the interwebs.

maumann likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Dumb. He’s had really good career should it end now.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Was it shortened to one game?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Archie Manning, and didn't even make the playoffs that season.

8. CD Boogie

Archie Manning never won the MVP.

9. CD Boogie

For a punter...

jk

JC likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It was nine. The Redskins went 8-1 to tie for the best record. Moseley made 20 of 21 kicks and was essentially responsible for four of the victories.

The MVP that year probably should have been either Fouts or Allen

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As I recall, he hit a lot of clutch FGs that season for the Redskins, who had a league-best 8-1 record and won the Super Bowl.
    Yes, that always seemed strange, but it was a season where games were canceled, every team played just nine games and 16 teams made the playoffs.
    I always thought it was appropriate that the MVP of such a fractured season was a kicker.

EDIT: Della filled some of the details for me.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Like Jones, Dan Pastorini was another 1970s QB who was way better than his teams deserved.

Draft saved Draft deleted