1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst beating you've ever seen in high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

First high school footbal game I covered on my own was a 76-14 game in the state semifinals of the biggest class. First game I covered in one of my stops, also a 76-14 game. Both winning teams went on to state titles and had state player of the years at QB -- one a unanimous national POY.

2. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I thought the 32-1 game I saw was bad.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't get out enough, I guess. I got nothing.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You think the WIPEOUTS are bad.

I once covered a girls' softball district tournament game. Final Score, 39-38.

Over Eighty (80) walks in the game. Home team scores seven runs in the final inning, on six walks, four errors, and two dropped third strikes. Yes, this was high school varsity. Supposedly. ::)

I think there was a total of about three actual hits in the game.

The losing pitcher's line looked like this:

IP: 7.0. H: 2. R: 39. ER: 31. SO: 12. BB: 47. Pitches, 357 (36 S, 321 B). Wild Pitches, 17. HB: 8. :eek: :eek:

Goddamn it. It was more than 15 years ago, and it STILL pisses me off.

I think I'll go mow the lawn. :D :D

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My junior year of high school, our football team hit a bomb on the first play of the game (14 seconds off the clock), forced a quick three-and-out and made it 14-0 less than a minute in. The final was 63-0, and that was with the coach ordering the third-string quarterback to take a delay of game penalty before every snap on the last three possessions.

Probably the worst I ever covered was a 63-14 game in which the winners scored on a fumble return, interception return and blocked field goal return all in the first 10 minutes. The offense didn't do too badly, either. The first play of the game, a 63-yard run on toss sweep left, was called back for illegal procedure. The next snap went 68 yards on toss sweep right.

It got so bad that the coach, who employed a power running game almost exclusively, called passing plays the entire second half. This, of course, caused the game to drag on forever because of all the incompletions.

I had another one where a kid touched the ball six times in the first quarter and scored five touchdowns. He ran back the opening kickoff, scored on all three rushing attempts and ran back a punt. He had a chance to go all the way on a second punt return, but stepped out of bounds after crossing midfield. It was his last play of the day and he wound up with something like 230 all-purpose yards.

That team also hit a 99-yard touchdown pass on a quick slant. The ball traveled maybe 10 yards and the receiver just outran everybody down the middle of the field.

6. House

House Guest

I come from a two-high school town. My cousin, who attended A High School, went to the big end-of-the-regular-season football game against B High School. After A High beat B High, kids from B High beat the shit out of him for no reason. He went to the hospital for a few days and the other kids did some serious jail time.

I don't remember the score.

7. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I covered an independent school state championship game once. The local team really had no business in that game. They had one or two decent players. They faced a team that "recruited" players and was clearly stacked. The end result was a 17-0 loss, but it should have been much worse. Winning team called off the dogs after the winning pitcher parked one on a house beyond right field. The losing team's AD eventually talked to the umps and they called it after 5 innings, even though there wasn't supposed to be a mercy rule.

We joke at my paper about one high school football team on the edge of our cover area. They win maybe one game a year, if that. We rarely cover them, but when we do, our photographers love it. They can ge all their shots in the first two minutes. It usually goes kick to opposing team rushed back for a TD. Kickoff to local team fumbled and run back for a TD by opposing team.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had one of our bigger private school girls basketball teams beat one of the weakest 118-3 15 or 20 years ago.

Back in the late '60s, a HS FB team from here won a game 124-0. That same school won one the next year 110-6 (or something like that).

Saw a private school boys JV basketball game once that ended 139-31. Winning team scored 51 in the third quarter. Other team shoots and misses, outlet pass on the rebound to half court of this bandbox-sized gym and an easy layup. Repeat many, many times.

This FB game only ended up 42-0, but it was 28-0 at halftime. The coaches agreed that the next score by the winning team would result in a running clock. About 2 minutes into the third quarter, the losing team gives up a safety. I'm in the press box and I hear the losing AD on the radio calling up "let that clock go." The clock operator never shut it off, even when the winning team scored a TD. It ran through the extra point and the setup for the kickoff. Took 2 minutes of a 12-minute quarter from the time the kid scored the TD to the kickoff. It was a 7 p.m. game. I had filed and was on the road by 9. Great game!

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

102-24 in girls' basketball in 2001
    56-0 in football in 2005 (game was called at halftime, running clock after 14-0)
    10-0 and 11-1 in girls' soccer in 2005 (both games called at the half)

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

At the D-1 school where I used to be SID, our women's soccer team rang up many, many losses during my tenure there, but the highlights were two 11-0 shutouts as well as a 12-0 beatdown. It also beat a badly-outmatched SWAC school 11-0. That's some painful soccer to watch, whether on the winning or losing side.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I umpired a 32-1 game one time.

But nothing on here beats the 62-0 BASEBALL drubbing Evans (Ga.) High gave to Laney High in the 90s.

Yes, that's right. A 62-run difference in baseball. Regular season. Varsity.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There was a 111-0 HS football game in Jersey in the late 40s, and the star of the winning team spent the second half sitting in the stands in street clothes.

Also had a 76-0 FB game when I was in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted