1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst beating you've ever seen in high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 14, 2006.

1. BH33

BH33 Member

88-0 is pretty bad, but I'm guessing it wouldn't crack the top 50 for biggest drubbings in high school football in the nation.

The two biggest in Colorado: In 1930, a team won 176-6. In 1922, a team won 143-0.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last year had a Class 2A school play up a class and beat the 3A team 71-0. The third quarter went something like this: Kickoff return, TD; fumble return, TD; fumble return, TD; blocked punt return, TD.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Girls basketball team in the town where I first started got beat by 80 points _ in the first round of the state tournament.

It could have been 100.

Day after paper comes out, mother of player calls to complain that I shouldn't have been so "negative."

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Covered a 91-8 girls basketball game several years ago.

Played in a 35-8 baseball game in high school. The wrong end.

Football, I guess a 65-6 game I covered between two elite private schools. Not a mismatch, just a game that got out of hand.

5. bdh02

bdh02 Member

66-0 AA high school football game is the worst I've ever covered.

I also had a friend who defeated another guy 86-19 on a playstation2 game, but I don't think that counts. :)

6. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

Covered an Georgia independent private school girls' game in 1994 where the winners pressed the first three inbounds, stole each time and went up 6-0. The losing coach physically got down on his knees and bowed down to the winning coach and said, "Please, don't press us."
    By the second quarter, the winners were in a 2-1-2 at the corners of the lane, pivoting to face the ball as they passed, but never playing any defense.
    It was 25-0 at the end of the first, 54-1 at half. The league let eighth graders play varsity, and the winning coach pulled his 8th graders from the stands at halftime, suited them up, took technicals for each of them.
    The young ones let the game get to 90-6.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We don't have a girls' basketball program in this area so bad that these crazy scores pop up. But you get into girls' JV ball ... uh-huh.

A few from recent years include 71-2, 63-0 and 96-5.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We had a similar high school girls game where the losing team started with seven, three had fouled out by the end of the third quarter, another in the first minute of the fourth quarter. Playing 5 on 3, the winning team NEVER called off the press. We have a problem in our area with the top 3-4 girls teams being pretty relentless about the press, no matter what the score or how bad the other team. Of course, since the press is the only defense they run (and layups after steals about the only offense they run), they usually hit the wall at about the regional playoffs, when they face teams good enough to break the press. When they have to play straight half-court defense and offense, they're lost.

You can never convince their coaches of that. They love those 100-17 games.

9. cubman

cubman Member

When I was 16, a nearby school - Pickerington (Ohio) - beat Groveport 105-5 in a first-round sectional girls basketball tournament game. Picktown led 72-0 before Groveport scored, drawing a clap from all the Pickerington fans. It had all the makings of a mismatch, the awesome Pickerington program (any of you in Ohio surely know this) against a school that rarely if ever fields winners even to this day.
    Pickerington was well known for running up the score in the 90s, something that really doesn't happen anymore with them because the district split and that kind of talent's just not there nowadays.
    This February, I covered a girls basketball sectional game that my area team won something like 84-10. They took a 24-0 lead, the other team made a couple foul shots, then our team went on a 43-0 run. My story took about 12 minutes to write. The interviews seemed longer. WTF do you ask?! That and the Division I-bound star player's grandmother was behind me hoping out loud that the other team could just get to 10 points.
    Our headline the next morning was "(School here) hands out epic beatdown." I loved it.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Saw the winning coach's tape of the game many years later: A 75-0 road victory in football.

Did I mention it happened to be in the Class 2A state championship game? And if memory serves me correctly, it was 0-0 after the first quarter.

Y'all up in Bama know the school I'm talking about.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

As a sophomore, I was on the ass-end of a 123-55 loss in boys basketball, and that was with a buzzer-beating 75-foot heave by our star player. Does that count as saving face? Those scores were commonplace that year as we went 1-20.
    As a senior, won a game 108-36 and ended up in the state playoffs.

Of course, none of the scores match those posted earlier, nor some of the games in my area from this past season.
    26-1 in baseball. The winning team wasn't even .500. One large public school girls basketball team might not have scored more than 10 points in any district game. Yet the coach called in each score.

I covered a big-class Georgia state title game that ended 49-7. The losing team was undefeated and nationally-ranked.

12. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I once went 0-62-4 in two consecutive ice hockey seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted