1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst beating you've ever seen in high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've seen 73-7 in girls basketball and my high school once beat someone 123-12. In football, I've seen 77-0 in one half.

2. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

Yeah, my highschool was up 42-0 in the first quarter of a game once, and then came the JV.. and they ended up winning 76-6...

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We didn't cover it, but one school in our area got beat 90-6 in football. They were one of the worst Class 1A teams in the state (has a 20-something game losing streak coming into this season) playing one of the best 2A teams. By halftime, the players on the 2A team were already in street clothes on the sideline.
    The sad thing was, going in everybody knew it was going to be a slaughter, yet another paper's writer put together a column calling out the 2A coach for running up the score. Believe me, it couldn't have been helped.

Also saw a 102-15 girls basketball game once. The coach on the winning team told his players the coach on the other team had been talking smack, which was total bullshit. Yes, the winning coach was a total dickweed in all areas.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

A team I covered won 61-6 ... in the state football quarterfinals (and the state's largest class). It was just a perfect first half that led to a 54-0 lead, and with the running clock going in the second half that kept the score from being really ridiculous.

5. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

The thing with it the team that suffered the 88-0 loss was in the playoffs the year-before, and the team that beat them wasn't a power by any means, and was on the same "level" as them... and the team suffering the 88-0 loss didn't lose anyone really valuable from the senior class a year-before.. weird

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saw a football game once that was 49-0 at the end of the first quarter. Final 76-0. They called it off at halftime.

The losing coach didn't whine. He knew his team sucked. He didn't ask, or demand, that the winning team call off the dogs. "This game isn't doing anybody any good any more," he said.

Three years later, he took the freshmen and sophomores on that team to a 7-2 record, and the state playoffs.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Eventual state semi-finalist (a rarity around here) girls' basketball team plays school starting five freshmen.

It wasn't pretty...60-0 after three...70-3 halfway through the fourth...losing team somehow scores seven points the final 4:00...70-15 final.

To make matters worse, the winning team played its starters -- and continued to press nearly every possession -- until the fourth. Coach said they had to "get ready for the playoffs." ::)

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

True. They might have some fielding averages that look more like batting averages.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

93-11 boys basketball... winning team had nine players so it had to keep a starter in. Pressed the whole game. Winning coach was pissed when I wrote a column accusing him of running up the score.
    Pat McDevitt, suck my dick, assclown...

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Heard of ...105-3 h.s. football game back in the late 90s.

If I recall correctly, I remember one of Switzer's old OU teams winning a game 82-0.

11. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

96-0 high school football game. And no, it wasn't the only time the (highly successful) winning coach was accused of running it up.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Boys basketball? Wow...don't see that everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted