1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Announcers Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Nov 9, 2010.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's hard to choose between Gus Johnson and Thom Brennaman. Can they be co-winners?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

For all the Gus bashing, no one ever mentions what I find most irritating about him - "4 and 22 left in the quarter". Nails on a blackboard.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

with you on that. i think it's hilarious it's enough over the top as a homer that it's unique. come on get foul, get out of play. the lack of objectivity reminds me of watching games with some degenerate gambler buddies.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Vintage Pierson: "Aw, somebody better check that Torrie Robertson, he's skating around like a chicken with his head cut off."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Adamle's best work was the show where he walked off in the middle of the broadcast.

And going back in time, I still shudder at remembering Joe Namath giving color commentary with Marv Albert. The word "play" would come out "pal-ay". Over and over again.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mixing him up with someone else, his best work was American Gadiators.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was referring to his time with WWE. Adamle was pretty good with the Gladiators, which had led me to think he would have been good for the WWE. Didn't quite happen.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There should really be two separate threads here, one for genuinely bad announcers, no show prep, hackneyed language, refusal to announce score if they're on radio, etc. and one for the over-the-top announcers who are simply not to some persons' taste.
    I enjoy Gus Johnson. Yes, he's nuts. So what. It's just sports. The NCAA tournament would be less fun without him.
    I do not enjoy homers on the air. But many people do, seeing as I have never heard a college football or basketball radio announcer who wasn't a ferocious homer, and I've been listening to 'em for 50 years or so. They must be appealing to their audience. Jack Edwards is both over the top and a homer, but by golly, he does describe the hockey well.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I've forgotten the guy who does Florida State football. If you can listen to him for more than 60 seconds and not reach to change the dial, you're a better person than I.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Gus Johnson is the "Top Gun" of announcers. Unintentionally hilarious, and thus a guilty pleasure. His style is diametrically opposed to everything I'm looking for in an announcer, but I laugh my ass off when I'm on one of his games.

What, no mention of Berman on golf and Brent Musberger on anything? They're in the same phylum. I mutter STFU every two minutes, for about 10 minutes, then hit mute.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I actually like both of them.
    Can't remember who him and Charles Davis called the 09 Fiesta Bowl with (Boise St/Okla.)--But I thought it was a very well called game.

Draft saved Draft deleted