1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst airport in the USA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't believe I forgot about Wichita ... for smaller airports, this tops the list as the shittiest.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody ever flown into Key West? I get a big kick out of the abandon Cubana Air plane parked at one of the hangers.

3. DFW

have nightmares about that place

O'Hare is bad but DFW is worse

and yeah, Houston Intercontinental is awful

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And end to end the entire terminal only spans one mile, so most walks are actually more like a half mile (or as you said, take the train).

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

No train to the B and C terminals, smart ones. That was the walk I was talking about.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Worst big airport: Philadelphia (always like a sauna, no matter what time of year, and if you've checked your bags, well, just wave goodbye to 'em.)
    Worst small airport: Abilene, Texas (TSA agents take asshole to a new level)

Best big airport: I like Houston Intercontinental. Good food and I've never taken a serious delay there. Close second: Charlotte.
    Best small airport: Columbia, S.C. One of the first to have free wireless, lots of comfortable seating (including rocking chairs.)

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

My vote changes week-to-week, but I'm currently way down on Newark. My last six flights or connections there have been delayed; twice I've had to stay overnight. Only thing it has going for it is a good restaurant selection. Given my luck there, I've eaten at all of them.

Toronto is also terrible, mostly because of the customs line. If you're connecting through T.O. for some reason, give yourself at least two hours.

Never had a problem with O'Hare. Connecting through there tomorrow, however, so now I've just jinxed myself.

I also just noticed that Sioux City, Iowa's, callsign is SUX. Hope that's not a harbinger.

Detroit has the nicest of the airport fountains. Denver probably has the second-nicest fountain, and its bathrooms also double as tornado shelters, which is handy.

If I might give a strong shout-out to my hometown's airport -- fair and lovely Ottawa... It's a new and beautiful airport, small enough that I know most of the customs and security guys and they know me. No lineups, and there are rarely delays except in winter, and even then, it has to be pretty bad out. Also, I live downtown, and once I got from my front door to my gate -- taking a cab, picking up my ticket, going through security and customs -- in 25 minutes. That's hard to top. It's one of the reasons I live here.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No debate. No discussion.

Atlanta's. That's all.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll verify that. Lost my bag last time connecting through Philly. The computer system in the airport went down for a while and it hit my flight just perfectly. They couldn't properly scan the bags so they didn't send any.

And the sauna description is right. Maybe not all the terminals are the same, but the one I was in had very low ceilings. As if planes aren't claustrophobic enough, I gotta have an airy terminal. Tampa comes to mind as one airport that does that well.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Tampa and Orlando both have nice, easy, clean and efficient airports.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No hate for Kansas City yet?
    I'm a little disappointed.
    Memphis is a hellhole and Atlanta frightened me.
    On the flipside, Tampa's nice. I once spent eight hours there waiting for a standby seat. I really like Nashville's and I've never had a problem with O'Hare, but I also don't fly as much as some on here.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Once landed in DFW. We taxied for about 20 minutes. Pilot says, "Folks, I'm not going to lie to you. We've taxied around the entire airport and there are no gates for us."

Never heard that one before/since.

And Toronto is not only brutal for customs lines, but also for planes sitting on the tarmac for an extra 20-30 minutes before finally taking off. Terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted