1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse collapse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Which has been the more spectacular collapse over the last week?

1. St. Louis Cardinals squander most of 8 1/2 G lead

58.8%
  2. Michigan State vs. Notre Dame

41.2%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Oswalt is pitching tonight, then?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No, he will come back on three days rest to pitch Sunday and Pettitte will pitch Saturday, with Clemens on Friday.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

but the point is, choke isn't the only explanation. Some moves Don Zimmer made were crazy during that stretch. He didn't use Bill Lee because of a personal pique, and I remember one thing which was incredible. Butch Hobson made something like 43 errors that year, and played the last 6 weeks of the season with a bad elbow. Zimmer wants to keep his bat in the lineup, but then there were games he had Frank Duffy, who was pretty good with the glove, as a designated hitter. That was insane.

However, the biggest factor during the glorious run was the fact that Bob Lemon replaced Billy Martin and told Ed Figueroa, whom Martin constantly second-guessed in the media, to just go out and pitch. Figueroa was something like 12-1 down the stretch - that made the difference and, other than the times the Red Sox faced him, they had no control over that. That's why "choke" is never a complete explanation. The Yankees went on a tear in late July and got the lead down to six games in early August, and the Red Sox won two games at Yankee Stadium in August to push the lead down to eight games. The Yankees, if you look at it over the course of the rest of the season, gained a game a week. There was the Boston Massacre I, but the Yankees in September were a lot better team than the Red Sox at that point.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Unless he has been moved up to tonight, there are no games for him on three days' rest... unless it's on Monday.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point, I got confused on what day of the week it is. All I know is Garner said he would be willing to throw Oswalt on three days rest if they had a chance to get into the postseason, so maybe he will be the surprise starter tonight.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Santo said that on the HBO Cubs documentary.
    Ran out of gas.

7. Big hour for both the Houston and St. Louis clubs, to use a Mike Shannon-ism. Cardinals are tied 1-1 with the Padres through 7. Asstros rallied to tie the Pirates in the top of the ninth, now it's 6-6 mid-10th. Asstros win and Cardinals lose, and it's 1/2 game with 4 to go, anybody's race. Asstros lose and Cardinals win, it's 2 1/2 games with 4 to go, and the situation becomes better for the good guys.

Reds lost, too.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wild pitch about to sink the Cards.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Because I could not be any more disinterested by an alleged suicide attempt by Media 'Ho Owens, I choose to comment on the Mets' suicide attempt in the last week.

This team is looking at 3-and-out.

Pedro sucked shit through a Crazy Straw on a night where he needed three strikeouts to reach 3,000 and he gets lit up by a team, unusually, with nothing to play for. Pedro is not going to be effective in the NLDS -- if he even gets a start. The dude can't even field his position right now.

10. And ALBERT PUJOLS bails out the good guys once more with a towering blast.

11. clarkington

clarkington Member

MVP baby! WOot woot!

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

You seriously can not pitch to him with the game on the line like that good job Bochey.

Draft saved Draft deleted