1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse collapse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Which has been the more spectacular collapse over the last week?

1. St. Louis Cardinals squander most of 8 1/2 G lead

58.8%
  2. Michigan State vs. Notre Dame

41.2%
  1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Something tells me the Cardinals are going to put it together in time to prevent this from happening, though I thought the same thing Saturday night.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God, this Cardinals thing is like a locomotive headed straight for the gorge. I can't take my eyes off of it.

Worse than the '69 Cubs. And, yes, even worse than the '64 Phillies, who only blew a 6 1/2-game lead with 2 weeks to go. If St. Louis gacks it in the end, this will be the worst-ever collapse in baseball.

3. Real shame, isn't it?

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think the White Sox collapse this year was pretty damned bad, too - the defending world champions had an 11-game lead on the Twins some time around the All-Star break. Eleven games!

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And they burned up a Carpenter start last night.

They only have one left, potentially.

No WAY Carpenter should be pitching Sunday, but he very well may have to, now. That would blow up the rotation plans in the postseason at the least... a choke in its own right.

7. I hope he's pitching Monday(?) in that makeup game with SF.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

But, let's be honest, the Yankees wrestled the worst collapse mantle away from Mauch's boys a couple years ago.

Up three with four to play to make the WS?

Nothing is close to that.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I would guess they would pitch him Sunday, and not Monday.

10. Sure, but my point was I hope they have to make up that game, because I hate the Cards and want them to lose.

11. I still think the Cards will make it. They have four games left with Milwaukee, which is just awful on the road.

But it is nice to see the "greatest fans in baseball" squirm a little.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

All bet
    All bets are off, though, in a free fall (with no Carpenter to be seen)

Draft saved Draft deleted